Question about 21" wire wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Question about 21" wire wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Belling on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 01:46 pm:

Can this wheel with cracks around the stud hole be used or is it junk?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 01:55 pm:

I've never decided whether cracks like those were there from the day it was made, or from overtightening. I think some of each. I have some wheels like that too that I use on my car. My take is, that as long as the cracks don't progress out past the countersink bevels and into the flange of the hub, it's o.k. If that's a good criteria, I would say yours looks o.k. too, although you don't show the front face.

Every so often, I walk around my car and check each wheel for cracks. I have also found cracks that run concentric to the hub, in the radius just below the bolts holes. I've had these welded with good results after years of additional use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 01:58 pm:

The concentric cracks I mention above would be as marked below. In my observations, this is the more common crack;

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 02:24 pm:

Maybe use the stud washers to better support the lug nuts.
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/45

Don't over tighten the nuts, it pulls the hole ring down to the hub and cracks the lip like above. Nice and tight, then check them every so often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

The washers Mark suggests are very good. They also help prevent paint chipping when tightening the lug nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

I routinely Braze around those lug holes. So far I have had no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 03:44 pm:

I would TIG weld those cracks, but that's just me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Belling on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 04:03 pm:

Thank you guys for the good advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

Brazing does not add much strength, while a good TIG weld can be very strong, so I would go along with Bill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

What about welding those washers on the back ?
Good idea ? I need to figure out how do the same thing to my wires and spoke straighten.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

I have never had anyone break one of my braze welds. Never.The only thing it does is prevent further cracking,and provides a stronger base .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

Some of mine are ovaled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

With my Lincoln flux core wire welder I welded up a wire wheel that had all the lug bolt holes cracked severely and the hub cracked somewhat like Jerry's picture but much more extreme with the crack more than 180 degrees. I welded the hub from both sides, then ground the outside to the original contour. To my amazement I mounted the wheel on the front axle and the wheel ran true within plus or minus about an 1/8".

I returned it to the original owner, I don't know what he did with it. I know it would have made a good spare, I don't think I would have run it on the front axle. I welded it to see if it could be done satisfactorily and for the enjoyment of doing it. I now have a pacemaker/defribillator and really miss being able to use my arc welder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

They might be OK as is, but I would weld 'em up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

Hi Jack,

I was in no way disparaging brazing repairs and certainly not disparaging YOU. I have had the opportunity to make some repairs with a TIG unit and it can be just the ticket for cracks of the sort shown on Albert's wheel.

Take Care,
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 04:36 am:

The circle of cracks around the centre of the hub is not uncommon. A neat fix involves die grinding the cracks from the inside until almost right through. Then a MIG weld to re-fill the ground out trench. Done carefully, there is nothing to grind on the outer side of the hub, and the inside need not be ground at all.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration