OT- Congratulations Stan Howe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT- Congratulations Stan Howe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 04:56 pm:

CONGRATULATIONS Mr. Stan Howe for your 20 years on Montana Public Radio! I've listened via the internet once or twice and enjoyed your show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

Way to go Stan. Hope you have another 20 in you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 01:58 am:

Thanks guys!

This is probably my last year. The station manager is retiring and I'm pretty sure there will be some program changes when he does.

I'm on Tuesday, Feb 3, 2:06 pm, www.mtpr.org/listen live. Valentines' show. Yogi Yorgeson with my annual advice to bachelors, Don't Put Off Chasin' Women Till You're Too Old To Catch Them!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 05:36 am:

Stan,

Congratulations! That is a special milestone few people achieve. I'll have to check and see if there is a "if you missed the show click here to hear it later" option. My work doesn't want us using the internet for videos or radio etc. so I will have to catch it at a different time.

I think your advice to bachelors also applies to many other areas of life -- "Don't put it off until you are too old..." Or as one person has on their profile "Life is short -- drive your T often."

Thank you also for your years and years of support to our hobby and forum.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 06:43 am:

That's pretty cool Stan. Congratulations to you! Lol, make sure you elaborate on the difference between chasin'/catchin' and gettin' hitched. The former being much preferred to that latter. =)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 07:57 am:

Congratulations to Mr. Wonderful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Kerndt-Waukon, Iowa on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 11:48 am:

Way to go Stan! I think that"s great that you do so many things. Wish I could be in the front row with a sack of ripe tomatoes! Just kidding!

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

Congratulations to someone I admire for so many accomplishments!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

Stan - That's wonderful!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

How can I listen to Stan's show on the internet? I didn't see it playing on the web site.

I spent many years a fan of Gene Shay and his folk music radio show in Philadelphia.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 10:33 pm:

WoW Mr Stan nice i going try listen
I had no idea your so famouse couldnt puck better gent to deal with
I got 22 years in my current job as well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

Thanks to hearing this on the forum, I streamed Stan's program today. First time I have heard it. Great show. I really enjoyed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 11:29 pm:

Thanks, I was lying on the chiropractor's table getting put back together since I got rear ended by some college kid last night while I was waiting at a train crossing. I usually listen to the show if I can. I'm usually not on for two hours but did a second hour this time to cover for John who has been having a lot of health problems and didn't think he was ready to do his show until later. I assume they played the second hour, I couldn't listen where I was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

I should also say that I wasn't much hurt, just a little back ache and thought I should go get it checked today. I'm back in the shop working again tomorrow.

Subaru's are tough. The Nissan Maxima that hit me is probably totalled. There is some damage to the Subi but not a lot. Mostly knocked some plastic trim panels off the back. I drove it home last night and drove it today. No biggie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 12:59 am:

Hap, I regret to say that they don't archive my shows and allow them to be accessed on demand. I wish they would but they don't. You'll just have to listen next month when I play some more cowgirl music, some music from a CD Mike Walker sent me, whatever strikes my fancy for the show. I have no restrictions on what I play but mostly cover Traditional Country - especially as recorded by Montana artists, Western Swing, Cowboy/Western, Fiddle, Bluegrass, Old time, Scandanavian & German Traditional - like George House's band plays, lots of 78's, 45's, LP's, wire recordings and Recocuts, the occasional cylinder recording and once in awhile when somebody interesting is around and I have time to do it, music recorded live in my studio for later broadcast. The last one of those I did was for two 12 and 13 year old fiddle players who came and played some tunes and talked about how they got interested in fiddle, going to fiddle camp and about playing in contests, etc. Since I know virtually every musician in Montana I talk about a lot of them on the air and promote the festivals, camps and concerts around the area.

It's fun. It takes a few hours every month to do the show but I enjoy it. It's stuff you just don't hear anywhere else. I'm sure there are people who turn the radio off when my show comes on but over the years I've heard from a lot of people who tell me they mark their calendar every January when they get a new one to make sure they don't forget to listen when I'm on.

One of the women who works at the station told me that while she was downloading my Christmas show for broadcast she enjoyed it so much that she burned a CD of it, took it home and listened to it several times before Christmas and 4 more times in January and is going to keep it to listen to every year at Christmas. I think she knows I most likely won't be on the air under the new management that is coming in and that was probably my last Christmas show.

Every year, I get out my Teddy Bear that my mother made for me when I was 4, set him on the shelf in the studio so he can help me with the show and talk about Christmas growing up dirt poor in eastern Montana during the Second World War and how my mother cut up an old coat and made him for me from that coat and an old felt hat. He is now almost 70 and showing a little age. She, like many other people, told me again that I should write a book about him and where he came from. Over the years, I think he's received more fan mail than I have and a couple times his picture has been posted on the station web site. His name is Snuggles.

By the way, this is an unpaid gig. They would pay me to do it but I told them when I started that if they paid me they would think they could tell me what to do, what to play and what to say and I'd rather do it free and do it the way I want. They agreed. I've had two complaints to the station in 20 years. One about making fun of Garrison Keeler - the guy on Prairie Home Companion - and the other for saying two little girls who played fiddle were "Cute." I guess in today's world it is not politically correct to say girls are cute when they are ten years old and dressed up in little cowgirl outfits playing fiddle with 5 old fat guys in a band playing Western Swing. Some lady took offense and complained to the station that I should have said they were "talented" but not "cute." Can't win them all. I still think they were cute.

That's not bad considering we have coverage all over western Montana and into Canada and Idaho plus worldwide on the Internet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 08:49 am:

Stan -- When is your show in March? Is it the first Tuesday of each month at 2:06? I just clicked on the link you posted above and listened to a few minutes of "Morning Edition," which is what is on now, so I know I'll be able to access it on my computer. (I usually have NPR on the radio in my shop.) Maybe a heads-up a day or two ahead of your show would help some of us remember to listen in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 09:03 am:

I second Mike's question. I need to pay better attention. When I read Stan's post above, I made a mental note to click the link and listen the next day. Problem was that I was reading the post on Tuesday and should have done that the same day. I can add it to my calendar in the kitchen if I know when it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 09:55 am:

Stan, not every ten year old is "cute" and "talented" but to be both is unusual. Please do post a schedule when you get one. I now use a calender on the kitchen wall to "help" me remember to do things, it helps but I still have to remember to look at it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 10:33 am:

First Tuesday of every month, 2:06 PM, www.mtpr.org, click the listen live tab at the top of the screen.

They also occasionally run what we call "Evergreen" shows, which are shows with no specific attachment to seasons or timed events - think Valentines Day, Christmas, CD releases, personal appearances, etc., etc. The three of us that trade off hosting all have a couple of those on file to cover a missed mailing, vacations, tech glitches, sudden illness or emergency or whatever. That is what ran the second hour yesterday. John is struggling with some health problems so I covered his time slot with an evergreen show. Since I record my shows a couple weeks before they air I usually don't have any need for them but the people who are on air live need to have a couple on file at all times that have not run before. We are on 24/7/365; there has to be something being transmitted virtually every second of the year.

There have been a lot of program changes in the last few months trying to eliminate the expensive shows they were buying that may have limited listeners or support or some that are interesting but too expensive for the budget we have.

They hired a new news director and changed the Montana news format last fall, just before our biannual Legislative session. I doubt he will be there much longer. If I was the manager he would already be gone but they don't let me blow the whistle or ring the bell let alone drive the train. The station manager that has been there for nearly 40 years total, starting out as a student volunteer is retiring; I'm pretty sure whoever comes in will make a lot of program changes. I will probably retire voluntarily before I get "the letter."

If you do listen some times and enjoy the show you might drop a note to them saying it. Just go to the MTPR page and select "contact us." Send a note to the program director. Incidentally, he was in my 6th grade class about 40 years ago. Michael Marsolek is his name.

Off to the shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 10:41 am:

Stan,
I'll have to tune in. Hearing your stories in person, I know you must have a great following of listeners in Montana.
Congratulations, and keep on recording,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 09:52 am:

Congratulations, Stan, from one broadcaster to another!!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration