Running board tool box pictures please

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Running board tool box pictures please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Santilla on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 07:19 pm:

Hello, I recently came across what I think is a Model T running board tool box. I would appreciate some pictures if any of you have such a box so I can identify what I have and after a restoration use it on my car. Thank you in advance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

Bob -- There is no such thing as a "Model T running board tool box." They all were aftermarket accessories and could be used on any brand of car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

Here's the one that was mounted on my car when I bought it. I moved it from the driver's side over to the passenger side to make room for a spare tire holder and a rack with basket.

box

basket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

Lots of metal tool boxes made for running boards, the important thing is to get the right size for the Ford. If too high, the box will block the doors, if too wide, it hangs off the running board.

These are correct size for the Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

FWIW, here's mine.
toolbox

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

Are people mounting them directly to the running board or are the placing anything in between ??
Looking for ideas also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

Mine's bolted directly to the running board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

There are different methods of mounting. One is to drill bolt holes in the running board. I hate that idea, and won't be doing it. Another is to mount the box on a board held down by the regular running board bolts. That's better. Another approach is to make make hardware that clamps the box to the running board without making extra holes. That's what I intend to do. I'll post pictures when I do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

Steve:

Some folks in my area remove the clamps from pantograph running board luggage carriers and install them on the toolbox.

A lot easier than making clamps. Also, the pantograph racks are plentiful and inexpensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

Here are some I picked up at auctions and swap meets. I splurged and spent $6 for the green one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 08:28 am:

I went through one last year , lined it with wood , as mine is packed with tools that would dent the sides......soft metal.......Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 08:59 am:

Robert, Nice tool box. I made a "leather bib" to fit behind the padlock. I made it about the same size and shape as the padlock and a little bigger at the top to be able to cut a slit for the eye of the hasp. It keeps the padlock from rattleing and chipping the paint. Sorry, I have no photos right now...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 09:24 am:

Donnie great solution for keeping the lock. I had to file the hoop on mine for the lock to fit. It won't rattle as it is tight, but that won't last, I like your solution..........Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 11:44 am:

Last year, I started a thread about accessories we wish people would make. The most popular answer was a running board toolbox. Here's a link to the thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/437013.html

A few days ago, Robert Steiner started a thread about parts that we'd like to see either built or built better:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/514649.html?1422754918

Most of the things listed were reproductions of stock parts, but Bob Coiro mentioned toolboxes again.

Toolboxes can be found, but a lot of them are either rusted out or the person selling it wants a large amount of money. There are affordable boxes out there, but that involves being very patient with eBay and Craigslist or very diligent in your swap meet, flea market, and antique shop searches.

I'm not trying to steal the thread, but I'd like to at least begin research on what it would cost to reproduce toolboxes. Anybody who's interested in helping me get started, please PM me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

Judging by running board cans and similar reproduced items, the new ones would cost as much as originals, or more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Santilla on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 02:40 pm:

I bought this box at a flea market. What made me think it was off a Model T is it had a small decal under the lid that had Dodge Brothers on it. Thank you all very much for the terrific response. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 03:47 pm:

From the looks of the latch,the green one and the one in the middle proably say Hayes on the latch!! Ain't nothing like the real thing! I would think a good buy at 60.00 let alone 6!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 06:19 pm:

I found a "battery-box" on e-bay in very crusty condition, but in this size they're rare enough that I figured it was as good as would ever be available so I paid a hefty price for it and then invested in sandblasting, pounded out the big dents and filled up the little ones, then primed and painted.

As I'm a little compulsive, I also lined the inside with cardboard to keep my tools from scratching the paint (The little gray disc stuck to the inside of the lid is an LED light with a magnetic-mount).

Even the small toolboxes are roomy enough to hold a quart of oil and the kind of tools you'd want to take with you and still have plenty of room for rags, paper towels, a flashlight, cellphone, GPS, etc. -A bigger box isn't necessary and just takes up too much foot-room on the running-board.

Fifteen years ago, you could find these toolboxes in good condition at garage sales and pick one up for five bucks. -Them days are over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

You guys with your beautifully restored toolboxes make mine look like a junkbox. But that's ok, it fits my jalopy.
box

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

Here are pics of my two. You do not see many of the Peerless boxes, and the black one is my NOS one I found last year at Chickasha.

nos 1

nos 2

nos 3

peerless 1

peerless 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

Here is one on e-bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Running-Board-Tool-Box-Model-T-or-A-Car-Truck-Vintage-Ra t-Rod-/371250572365?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5670422c4d&v xp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

If anyone needs hasp locks, I have some Corbins available for sale:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 02:57 am:

Some people got pretty creative.........so I snapped up this one....... :-)

fender mount

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

Steve, you're probably right, but I guess it depends on how many people want to buy a ready-to-use box at a moment's notice as opposed to either waiting for a nice one to come along or put in the effort to patch up a rough one.

Craig, that is a neat box. Is that a period accessory?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

I have an idea that I really think might deserve consideration. This is sort of an "expansion" on what Steve Jelf and Erik Johnson talked about earlier in this thread.

I have a Model A and four Model T's. Therefore, I like the idea of being able to transfer a running board tool box from one vehicle to another, without drilling holes in running boards. I like the idea of using the clamping devices from what Erik called "pantograph" or accordion type or expansion type accessory running board luggage racks to mount the tool box on the running board of whichever Model T I want to. Seems like every parts swap has several of them for sale for just a few bucks.

Now then, here's my idea:

I don't like the fact that mounting a clamp-on tool box to the running board is not the best idea "security-wise"! I've seen a lockable security device on outboard motor boats and at marine stores that securely covers, hides and locks the two "lined-up" outboard motor clamping device handles to prevent theft of the outboard motor. Seems to me that such a lockable device could be used exactly the same way to cover and therefore make "inaccessable" the clamping devices that lock the tool box to the running board. Almost out of sight under the running board, especially spray painted flat black. So, whatcha' think,....feasable? Anybody done this,......(???) FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 07:49 pm:

A member on this site advertised this box and a smaller one for 25.00 and 20.00 respectively. I purchased the tall one and It turned out great. Tony Bowker if your reading this thread thank you very much Harvtool boxtool boxtool box

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 10:15 pm:

I got the other one from Tony, and it too will be nice when I get around to finishing it. Thanks Tony.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

Harold,I'm right there with you. I haven't worked out the details yet, but I intend to make locking hardware that will hold the box on the running board and will be easily unlocked to move from car to car. When I get a round tuit I'll take pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 02:13 am:

Glad to hear that somebody sees some merit in my "bright idea". I'd have included a picture of one of those outboard motor lock thingies, but I'm not quite that good with computer stuff. Actually,.....not even close to tell ya' the truth!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 05:32 am:

Eric, Does that key fit all the Corbin locks? My box has a Corbin lock but I have never had a key for it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 08:49 am:

This is our home made Running board toolbox.
Toon
1952R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 11:54 am:

Warwick:

The pair of keys came with one of the locks but they only work on two of the four locks shown.

They keys do have numbers on them.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration