My new car!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: My new car!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

Hi guys, well it's taken 2 years but I have at last got myself a T (well, almost. This coming weekend I hope).

Now I will say right from the begining I don't have numbers as yet. I do have pics but I need to resize them before I can attach.

What I can tell you all is that it's a '27 Tourer (touring to my American friends), Australian built in red with black guards (fenders) and red wire wheels.

The car has a known history and this is one of the things that attracted to it. I have to thank Ray Green for putting me on to the car.

It is currently unregistered and running a 12v distributor and coil. I plan to return the car to "Henry" spec with timer and coils. I will also be going through the car with a view to fully registering the car for road use. We have a far cheaper "club registration" scheme but it tends to limit use and I want to be able to drive the car when I want. The body appears to quite "straight" with a nicely lived in paint, I will leave it as it is.

I have put pics on a couple of the Facebook model T sites.

Already I have received lots of help and, even though I don't have the car as yet, I'm loving the camaraderie of the T family!

Cheers from Aus, Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

Looks pretty good to me, even with the steering wheel on the wrong side. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

Thanks for putting the pics up Steve Jelf. By the way, the steering wheel is on the right side! 😝

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

So check out the belt tensioner. And the rear fender kick guard. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

So, tell us a little about her history Mate !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 12:00 am:

George, I will be happy to give you and the forum its history but I have to gather the info first. Once got, I will pass it on.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 03:05 am:

The perfect model T! Nice enough to be proud of parked next to the finest classic. Just enough dings and scratches to not worry about while having a wonderful time.
Congratulations!
Drive carefully, and do enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 03:52 am:

Paul, Congratulations on your upcoming new arrival. I too just got my First Model T in DEC., after waiting 50 Years. You are so Right, everyone has been so nice and helpful on here, when I had a problem, not too long ago. I haven't even driven the car yet, as I became very sick, the day after I took delivery of it, but I have been tinkering with it, (that's were I got into trouble), but having a ball learning about the car, and reading and watching everything I can about it. I'm also familiar with your area, I have very good friends that live in Marrangroo, not far from Lithgow of course. Last I was in OZ was, in 2005. Well, hope all goes well with your transaction this weekend..... Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 04:11 am:

Nice car :-)

It's a bit different under the skin compared to 26/27:s in the rest of the world, since australian 26/27 open cars still had wooden framing in the body to reduce import duties - by having some of the body built within the country.

I wonder what the holes in the door skins by the latches was for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 10:05 am:

Side curtains

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 10:12 am:

Paul, I use the same line when people tell me that the steering wheel on my '36 Austin Ten is on the wrong side..... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 10:19 am:

Yep, Gary, the holes on top of the doors can be found on all 26/27 open cars, they're meant for the side curtain rods - but I'm wondering about the extra holes in the outer panels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 10:21 am:

Congrats on your new ride, Hope you have a large garage, Old cars tend to multiply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 11:05 am:

Congratulations on the new acquisition!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

Looks good except for one thing. It appears the wood in the front top bow is broken. This should be fixed.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 12:27 pm:

Side curtain snaps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 01:51 pm:

Paul. what is the small white pickup in the first photo, modern ute?, or home made?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

Looks like a '99 falcon ute.

(Message edited by kep610 on February 03, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 02:26 am:

AU Falcon One tonner, it would have a tray, a ute would have a tub.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

Those extra holes in the doors have me puzzled, the ones on top, I realise, are for the side curtains. The other holes are exactly where you would expect door handles. Maybe it was the intention of a previous owner to install door handles. All four doors have this mysterious hole. Wondering if I should look for rubber bungs to fill the holes?

The car is also running a Lucas (Prince of Darkness) distributor. Not original but a very neat installation. It is connected to a 12v coil. I think, for the time being, I will leave the distributor but change to a 6v coil to get the car back to some sort of equilibrium as, currently, it has both 12 and 6v equipment.

I have no idea if the Mag is putting out a charge, will test it when I have the car in my garage. I have just bought the book on the T electrical system from Snyder, hope it flies to Australia quickly. Will read up on Henry's system and get it back to proper health. A coil box and coils will, eventually, be reinstated.

Norman, I haven't checked the front of the hood (top) yet but, thank you, for you comment. Hope the wood isn't broken.

Now, I will warn you all, the following comments are for the Australian members as they will understand: So I can't be accused of being a Ford man I have also bought a Holden, just 88 years apart. No bias in my garage, it also contains a 1970 Volvo 144.

Thanks for all your friendly comments and advice guys, love it!

G'day from Aus, Paul.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manuel Voyages, ACT Australia on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

What model Holden Paul?
A nice HR or something :-)

Manuel in Oz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

Manuel,

Not even close, a Commodore SSV Redline with 6 speed manual, sold in the USA as a Chev SS (but, I understand, only as an auto).

Cheers, Paul in Oz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 11:46 pm:

G'day Paul,

I had a look at the car at the swap, nice unit and with a bit of TLC and a few changes to get her back to Ford spec you should have a good fun car. Ray Green knows the car. I liked it but the wife would have killed me if it arrived at home.

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 11:54 pm:

Just a thought Paul, talk to the rego people, you just might get to keep the old plates.

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Henry on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 04:04 am:

Nice Geelong T! Looks identical except for colour to ours. Do you know what body number it is? It should have an A number stamped on the firewall.

As for the holes in the doors, our car has a raised circle in the same spot on both front doors, but no hole was ever drilled. Were they meant for side curtain fasteners? Looking at old photos some of the 26/27 T's have those circles in the same spots on all 4 doors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 04:32 am:

Looks like a nice car, Paul.

The holes in the doors reminds me of my 1930 Morris Minor that I had in New Zealand. It was a little roadster and had been fitted with outside door handles, however one was missing. When I went for my 6 monthly Warrant of Fitness (Roadworthy Certificate) it was knocked back because of the missing door handle. I drove the car home, removed the other door handle, patched over the holes and gave them a dab of paint. When I presented the car again for the WOF, the tester said "Didn't I knock this back because of no outside door handles?"
"Yes," I replied, " But I've just done some research and this model never had them."
The Car passed and the WOF was duly issued.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

Peter Borland, I knew you had looked at the car, the owner told me. I do sincerely thank your wife! I plan to see if I can put the plates on hold but may have to surrender and then reorder them.

Dave Henry, thanks for that info. The holes do look like they have been there for a damn long time. Don't know the body number as yet.

Dane Hawley, hope I don't have to do that, we will see what the inspector says when I, eventually, present it for registration. Cheers, Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 07:51 pm:

Paul, I just noticed that all 4 doors on my 27 have those holes too. Factory? and what for??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

Must be factory Frank.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 09:39 am:

Hmmmmm The front bumper appears to be identical to my '27 coupe but the rear bumpers are vastly different. Was this a Ford Australia design?
Congrats on the acquisition of a super fun car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

George,

I really can't say if the rear bumpers are a typical Australian fitting. I would think that they were felt a better arrangement to allow the spare wheel to put on and off.

Paul.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 05:24 pm:

They are called bumberetes. These are shaped like the ones on a 1928-29 Model A Ford. The Model A ones have closed ends. These are open like the front ones. They appear to all be period correct and part of a set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 06:16 pm:

Fellows, on our old farm ute those holes in the doors have a fitting pressed into them which has the appearance of a raised circle as Dave indicates. The fitting is there to take a kind of snap fastener for the side curtains. It is a factory item.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 06:50 pm:

That does help Allan, thanks for that.

Paul

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration