CL ad "All Original"...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: CL ad "All Original"...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Curtis...Atlanta,Ga on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

[Not mine] I'm not familiar with the original top. Anyone?https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/4812990263.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

Weirdest pics I've ever seen and over priced me thinks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

Pictures are distorted. Its a 1925 or earlier tudor not a 1926.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

Looks like a street rod that someone tried to return to original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

It's been chopped. It's an "original 1926" in the same way that a merino ram is a species of migratory waterfowl. The price is a joke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:35 pm:

I don't think it's been chopped.

It's distorted because the seller took his cell phone and photographed existing prints of the car.

If he had taken the photos of the prints straight on or put them on a flat bed scanner, you would not see the distortion.

Notice the glare on the lower center of the photos. Also - other things in the photos are distorted - for example, the house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 12:07 am:

The car is not chopped, but the price needs to be. The pics look like taken in front of a carnival funhouse mirror.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 12:34 am:

I think they are pictures of old film pictures. The green and red push could be old Fuji film. The same reflection at the bottom is in each photo. Probably a celling light. Could be a scam. I would ask for current pictures. He has a camera or he couldn't take those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 12:54 am:

LOL i think it was chopped and those photos are cellphone snaps of someones photo album.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 02:13 am:

It reminds me of a car I looked at almost thirty years ago. Remember, Ts were a lot cheaper then.
I had had a couple setbacks, sold a couple cars that I had wanted to keep, but was beginning to look for something needing a little work to replace one. Driving down the street for work, I see a '26/'27 tudor with a for sale sign on it and several people standing around, arms folded, looking intently. I had a few minutes to spare, so I pulled over and parked.
The rear end was on jack stands, engine running, wheels spinning, and it didn't sound too bad. That was about where the good ended. It was all very rusty. There was not even a stitch of upholstery. The seats were not complete. No top, not even a stick of wood. The fenders were torn and badly welded. Not only all that, but a good look from the front said the car had been laid on its side and was a few inches off square. A fact confirmed by looking at a bit of body damage, broken pillars, and tied shut door with broken hinges.
I had figured out who the seller was in the small crowd. He was the guy doing all the talking about how wonderful the car was, and how you would never be able to find a better candidate for restoration.
I had pretty much seen enough. But I had to ask. "How much?"
He replied "Seven."
Now, I figured that seven hundred dollars would be a pretty good buy. I looked the fellow square in the eye and said "Seven what?"
"Seven. Thousand".
That was somehow the answer that I had expected. I did not say another word. I think I grunted, turned, and left.
To help put the price at that time into perspective. At that time, there was a fordor in our local club that had been for sale for about two years. The paint was a nice older paint, the interior was one of the nicest original interiors you have ever seen. There was not a dent in it, and the engine had been rebuilt. I would have seriously considered it, but I simply did not have the money at the time (one of the kids had hit us with some medical bills, the why I had sold a couple cars). The price for the fordor was four thousand dollars. At that it took almost four years to sell.
Some people have no clue what their junk is worth.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 07:41 am:

One too many zero's. And yeah, looks like pics of pics. I'd be afraid of a scam. Wouldn't want to end up like that couple down in McRea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 08:00 am:

It really doesn't seem like a good idea to list a car when it has a tow strap hooked to the front of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 09:45 am:

Ran when towed? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 09:50 am:

I'm thinking this is a scam, Possible entrapment to get a potential buyer alone to rob them. A few to many red flags to bait the untrained eye.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

There used to be a place in Knotts Berry Farm which was all distorted. The house was on a slant and everyone looked different. A short person standing in one place looked taller than a tall person standing somewhere else. That's how the house, carport, and pickup in the picture look. I think the distortion is in the picture rather than in the car, but for sure it is not a 26.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

I doubt that it is an intended scam. Scams, especially as bait, are usually too good to be true, in order to entice someone to come running to jump on it. One thing this thing is not, is too "good" to be true.
Several years ago, my wife decided she wanted a Corvette. Checking around, she found one for sale in our price range that looked really good. Corvettes are not "my thang", but I read the listing with all its glowing comments along with several errors, and knew something was wrong. Somehow, I did a bunch of online searching, and I found the exact same photos, with a correct description, for a car for sale 1000 miles farther away, at twice the price.
It was one of only a few times that I have reported such a thing to a listing site.
By the way, we never did get a Corvette. For our modern "fun" car, we got an Audi TT roadster instead.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

Needs to remove the "1" from the price tag.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration