Testing Diff. Thrust Washer Adjustment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Testing Diff. Thrust Washer Adjustment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

I installed new bronze/brass thrust washers according to the axle book (and set the gear lash). The ring gear was too tight, and .010 shims in the differential housing improved it, so I removed about that amount from the right washer. The ring gear turns freely now, but is there a way to check if I took too much off the washer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, February 02, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

Are you talking about 0.010 shims between the two halves of the pumpkin, or 0.010 shims between the two halves of the differential spider gear assembly. Have you checked the pinion to ring gear backlash?

If you added an 0.010 shim between the two pumpkin halves and then took 0.010 off the thrust washer you should be OK in that respect. You would still need to check the pinion to ring gear backlash. That should be about 0.010, others may say a little more.

If the pinion ring gear mesh is OK then if the two pumpkin halves close with no shim and the pinion and drive shaft turn freely your fit up should be OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 09:23 am:

I set the pinion-to-ring gear lash first to about .010, then assembled the diff. ("pumpkin"). The ring gear didn't turn. I then put .010 in shims between the two halves of the pumpkin, and the ring gear turned, though it was tight. I removed about .012 from the right bronze thrust washer and reassembled the pumpkin. The ring gear turned rather easily. However, I'm wondering how to know if I took a bit TOO much off the washer.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 04:28 pm:

PJ, one way to check for clearance is to pull the torque tube assembly and use a lever to load up the diff centre and see if you can move it within the pumpkin.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

If you read my rear end book you will see that you bolt the right housing to the left housing with no gasket between them. If the thrust washer is the right thickness the ring gear should turn but with some resistance. It should not turn freely. This means you have zero clearance. Than install the gasket and you will have 4-5 thousands clearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 02:31 pm:

Try the solder method. It works GREAT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 05:55 am:

What is the solder method?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 09:57 am:

Ed -- It's running a piece of solder through the ring and pinion gears to check their lash clearance.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration