OT - Question about diesel fuel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Question about diesel fuel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 09:59 am:

A while back on my way home from a long trip my regular fuel stop the pump was out of order which allowed me to run out of fuel. A farmer sold me some fuel from his heating fuel tank to get me to the next fuel stop. Which leads me to this question,
Is there any difference in truck stop diesel fuel and regular heating fuel other than the taxes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 10:05 am:

diesel is #2, heating oil is #1, its made lighter to flow in cold temps, and burns at lower temp, and has the red die. shouldnt harm your truck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 10:09 am:

Kerosene is "lighter". I have a Stanley and it runs fine on gasoline or kerosene. Diesel will quickly carbon up the vaprorizer in it. Jets run essentially on kerosene. To run a jet engine on diesel you need to blend in some gasoline. So I suspect you will have less power on kerosene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 10:11 am:

Winter diesel here still presents the same carboning problem but will flow at -40

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 10:30 am:

Funny you would mention jet engine fuel, Way back in the 90's I working on this airfield that had jets coming and going. I drove a 1980 VW Rabbit with a diesel engine. Im not sure the reason but the guys that did fueling of the jet aircraft they would dump the first five gallons of JP4 into a bucket and then fuel the aircraft. Instead of dumping the fuel I always carried five gallon fuel can with me and they let me have the fuel. My little VW Rabbit ran great on it. I never bought an ounce of fuel for that as long as I worked there. I really hated leaving that job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Jet fuel is #1 with no red dye!! Home heating oil can be #1 or #2 or a mixture of both depending on furnace type,line size,and tank location.There is no road tax on home heating/farm fuel so the red dye.Diesel is usually #2 and in the winter with additives added to stop gelling.People up north usually avoid Bio Diesel in the cold.In Mi getting caught with dyed fuel in your on road ride is a $10,000 fine!! After i retired i delivered fuel for a couple of years! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

drifting with a word about biodiesel. i know a guy who rebuilds injector pumps. he says that now that minnesota has biodiesel, he has started to see pumps come in that are coated with wax inside, and must be completely torn down to fix. he said he see's it mainly of machines that sit for extended periods, not so much on daily drivers. bad for me, i have a diesel lawn mower, and a diesel tractor, both that sit for 6 months a year

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

I haven't really been sold on Biodiesel yet. Coming through some state a few years ago once I filled up on it once just to try it. I didn't see any difference in power, Milage or how the engine felt with it. For now I'm sticking with fossil fuels. Im sure in time we will be forced to purchase full Biodiesel or a blended mix like we have with the ethanol fuels. Maybe by then I will tire of the sound of a diesel engine and switch to full electric.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 01:02 pm:

Years back a bunch of local Farmers in Frydek, Texas were caught using non road taxed diesel fuel off their farms in their pick up trucks. They weren't necessarily mad because they had been caught. They were mad because the raid was staged in the parking lot of the Catholic Church during Sunday Mass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 01:16 pm:

Will most likely what you bought was already a mix. B100 is 100% biodiesel. If you go from never having run it before to a whole tank of B100, it will clog your fuel filter with a quickness. It breaks down any deposits or junk left behind by regular diesel, similar to folks who have purchased gas with ethanol and then had to clean out their carb and sediment bulb because it was eating the varnish off the inside.

B100 burns cleaner than diesel and also keeps your engine a lot cleaner, but it has 1/10 less oomph. So where you might normally get 400 miles from a tank full of diesel, you'll probably only get 375 or maybe slightly less with a tank of B100. The trade off is supposed to be that B100 is both way cheaper than diesel and because it burns cleaner and cleans your engine you have fewer maintenance issues with injectors and stuff like that.

The biggest negative with it is that there's really no good additive for keeping it liquid in the cold. When it starts getting down below freezing the B100 will want to solidify into a gel. Most likely whatever wax that Clayton mentions is either a poorly done biodiesel process or it's whatever they're trying to mix in it so that it won't solidify in the cold.

It used to be that McDonalds and other restaurants had to pay a company or service to dispose of their waste grease. My buddy got in on the biodiesel thing years ago and for the longest time would collect it for a few places near him for free. He'd make biodiesel from it and keep his tractors and truck and VW Jetta fueled up with is only cost being some time a few chemicals - monster savings over filling up with diesel at the pump. But a year or two ago a company started paying McDonalds and those other places for the rights to come pick the waste grease up. My friend can't compete with that and has had to go back to regular diesel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steve miller- mississauga,ontario on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

In Canada heating fuel and off-road construction vehicle fuel is coloured. Highway vehicle fuel is clear. Two different taxes apply and "The Man" takes a dim view of tax evasion

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 04:04 pm:

Will, a mate of mine has a son-in -law who is a helicopter pilot. They do the same thing, run off 10 litres of fuel each morning. A sample of this is kept/sent off for testing. It's a safety thing, being able to trace back the fuel source if something goes wrong. He never buys diesel for his Landrover Discovery either.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Using off road fuel around here is looked down on. A few years ago while crossing MS I had my tank checked 3 times. 3 different road blocks. This was done by the MS DOT and the Fed IRS. I got a little p1ssed and talked back to them and I was told they were going to stick my tank or I could give $15,000.00. The choice was mine. Well, on a 99 F250 you can not get anything in the tank to check it. So I had to show my last fuel receipt to prove I paid road tax. I was told that was the fine for using off road. Did not matter if it was 1 gal or 100,000 gals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 05:16 pm:

What would you done if you didn't have that receipt Dan, I almost never keep my receipts. Sounds like entrapment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 05:17 pm:

around here the dot went to the local high school and busted the farm kids who drove a farm registered pickup to school. they called it tax evasion

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

I always kept receipts, for taxes. But they were stopping ALL diesel trucks. MS has stopped me many times. It is always with the Fed IRS too. If they find one guy running off road they have a great pay day. It is like the State Police and DOT #s. That is a $400.00 to $500.00 pay day each time they do it. That is one reason I am getting rid of my 350. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 03:34 am:

Quick fuel ? Had the shop furnace filled up, and
I also wanted 100 gal in my dozer. He refused ??
whats up with that its off road. Former fuel guy
always gave me fuel for backhoe / dozer.
(I dont care about taxes, I just want fuel to push snow) Whats this a new law created last night?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 08:44 am:

Hard to say because what did he have in the truck?? Usually drivers know the stops in advance and plain what they put in their tanks.A fuel delivery truck usually has 4 or 5 tanks and some #1 much more #2 off road or on road and even gasoline depending on his stops?? Maybe he was getting low on #2 off road,but did you order what you needed in advance?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 11:24 am:

My fuel supplier only brings what I order. As Kenneth says, they have several stops on a days run. Our driver travels 55 miles out to our area. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 01:23 pm:

Samuel Pine - This was many years ago, but at that time when I was driving a '58 Mercedes 180D (diesel) I was told that home heating oil was very hard on a diesel fuel injection pump, due to the very close tolerances in the barrel/plunger units in the injection pump and the fact that home heating oil had something abrasive in it. (???)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 06:14 pm:

People used to ask me,do you get cold when you drag your hose through the snow?? That hose holds approx 28 gallon of what you pumped last,and maybe he had no tank/or place to put a mix of #1 and #2?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

In another life, when I was a young guy, still in Chicago, I used to deliver home heating oil. Some of those old Chicago two-flat buildings had the basement oil tanks way at the back of the building. Had to pull that hose all the way down that narrow gang-way to the back of the building, and then quite often, all the way across the back to the far corner of the building. Always used to hope for just a slight "skiff" of snow,....just enough to let the hose slide a lot easier. Made for much, much less work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

Yup,And being confronted by a mean dog was usually made worse by what the dog left under the snow for you to step in!!!!!!!!Bud.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration