Building a poor mans line boring setup for T mains

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Building a poor mans line boring setup for T mains
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 11:55 am:

Its become a pain driving across the state for line boring. Some folks will do the boring if they do the whole engine only. I would rather do my own engine.
Looking for ideas from folks who have done it. I have my own ideas after seeing a KR Wilson set up work but its designed for a new crank. Some one might have a Gene French set up for sale. Thanks for information!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 11:58 am:

Gene French has one for sale in the classifieds right now: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/515119.html?1422848480

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

See if you can find the book by Vic Zannis. I bought the book, made the boring tool and did 4 engines with it. Worked fine and the gear mesh was perfect. Unless you own a mill you will have to have the locator blocks made for you. Other than that it is easy to make the tooling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

Thanks Roger and Gary. I Thought Gene had passed probably over careful but there is scams to avoid.

I will look for the Vic Zannis book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 01:42 pm:

Found a Vic Zannis book Rebuilding The Model T Ford Power Plant.
Is that the book describing the line boring set up Gary?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

Paul; that is the book with the jig details.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

Thanks both Garys!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty Central wisconsin on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 05:57 am:

Paul
I used a Zannis rig for 4 blocks then bought a Gene French unit. If you use the Zannis rig buy the pouring jig from French. It will save you hours. The Zannis rig will work if you spend a great deal of time with it. The French unit works much better but will need new bushings etc. after about 10 uses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 10:13 am:

Thanks all! Finally think I have the right Gene French. I have had about six hours of watching a KR system work---some parts of it would have been done different way for me. Its going to be a learning curve but it will save a ton of driving and use my blocks and cranks up for some one who needs them.
My plumber warned me about moisture blowing up lead in pipe joints. I witnessed that with Babbitt at a much higher temperature.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

Why not buy a set up from Gene French.
He will likely have them at Chickasha again this year. I looked them over and visited with him there. I think his setup is well thought out and well made and reasonable for what you get.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

Exactly what I ordered today Ted! This thread gave bits of information unknown to me before it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration