Starter brush plate rebuild

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Starter brush plate rebuild
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 08:03 pm:

One of the brush holders is broken on this starter. Who sells the holders? And when replacing the insulators what is the procedure for removing and re-installing the brush holders. Thanks in advance, Bob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

Bob, I have never rebuilt a starter brush plate so, you'll have to refer to others for help. If you want to go the easy route Lang's has brush plates which have already been rebuilt. https://www.modeltford.com/i/c/2885175l.jpg

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

Lang's add reads, must have brush plate first with brush holders in tact. But, thanks for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 10:11 pm:

Oh, didn't read that.
Sorry,
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

Bob, Your nose piece went out yesterday via UPS. If I had known, I could have included a used holder. Cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

At least I think I could have. I have a bunch of starter parts I'd have to go through to see if I have that entire end that's good enough to send.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 12:28 am:

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/1181

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 12:30 am:

Get the insulators too, if you don't have them already.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 01:30 am:

Ken, I'm working on a starter, will that brush holder work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 06:39 am:

Bob,
Yes, that is the correct brush holder. If you need the brush re riveted into the cap, I have the copper rivets and the rivet gun. Just let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 09:24 am:

Yes, Brent is correct. The same large brush holder fits the generator and starter. I'm hoping you have a #36 drill bit and a 6-32 tap. Unless you have a very expensive spin riveter setup and jig to hold the brush holder/plate, the brush holders will be held in by screws when reinstalling. Use pan-head #6-32 screws. Others may short the brush holders against the cover.

When rebuilding a brush plate, I usually dill the tap hole while the holders are still installed. The original holders have a center dimple from the riveting process. Use the dimple for spotting and drill through all the brush holders.

Change to a larger drill bit (about 3/8") and use that to just shave the "mushroom" off the brush holders. The mushroom is what retains the brush holder to the plate. Remove the brush holders from the plate making note of the spacers. The negative (ground) holders have a spacer under the holder so they are the same height as the positive holders on the insulators.

Place the holders against a belt sander (or file) and reduce the rivet posts on the brush holders to about 1/8" on the ground holders and about 3/16" on the positive holders. You can check the fit/length by fitting to plate. You don't want the posts to extend past the plate and/or insulators or the holders won't be held tight by the screws. At this point, you can tap the holes in the holder rivet posts to #6-32.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 09:49 am:

Thank you Guys, Ken that is a wonderful tutorial. And Thanks to the Forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 09:56 am:

Just to add a note:

I think the new replacement brush holders have been fixed. The last ones I used were near perfect. The earlier versions were not to spec (read that as crap) so I made a jig and plug gauge to check straightness and the brush slide area.

Check all your brush holders for free movement of the brushes. There should not be any binding.

(Message edited by ccwken on February 04, 2015)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration