Lock wiring - again

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Lock wiring - again
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

I know that this has been discussed quite a few times here as to why and how to do it but I have another question on lock wiring. In the Ruckstell rebuild manual, the instructions say to lock wire the ring gear stepped bolts in pairs. I did so as you can see in the picture. When I disassembled my rear originally (it did not have a Ruckstell) all of the ring gear bolts were cotter pinned and at least half of them would spin freely with the nuts and cotter pins installed.

Since these are through bolts they could spin either way so my wiring to "tighten them as they try to loosen" seems to be in vain. I'm wondering if it could actually cause a problem if they start to work back and forth potentially causing the lock wire to break due to fatigue. I want to get it right now because I never want to have to disassemble and move this heavy boat anchor around again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 02:16 pm:

Justin, i think the rule of thumb is that studs get wired, and bolts get pinned. Why are the bolts still able to turn after fully tightened?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 02:22 pm:

John, I assume that the ones in my rear as it was originally probably stretched some causing them to come loose. Mine are all tight now and I wouldn't think that they would come loose but they must take quite a strain. I saw a thread recently about someone also rebuilding a TT Ruckstell and found that a lot of his were broken or cracked.

I think that I may change to pins. I was just following the Ruckstell assembly instructions to this point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

Wiring only keeps the bolts from falling out if they do loosen. I use high strength thread locker in places where I'm concerned that things may loosen. KGB

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration