WWI Steam Convoy

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: WWI Steam Convoy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

from Bailey Rettig:

Watch the driver steer as he goes around the first turn. We've come a long way!

WW1 vehicles
https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=huQhqXiB8O0&feature

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

Ralph - This is "WAY" off-topic, however your post on steering and the fact that as you said,...."we've come a long way" reminds me of the Mississippi riverboat "Sprague" built in 1901, seven years before the first Model "T" (just to maintain a bit of Model "T" content) and destroyed by fire in 1974. The Sprague at times could not be steered by only a single helmsman. To turn to starboard in some conditions for example, the helmsman in the wheelhouse pulled the spokes at the top of the wheel to starboard, and to help him, there was another man (or men) one floor (or deck) below the wheelhouse, pulling the spokes at the bottom of the wheel to port! We were on the Sprague the year before she burned, and I don't remember how big the wheel (helm) was because only the top of it was visible in the wheelhouse, but I would guess a diameter of at least 12 or 14 feet! Yep! We've come a long way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

Trying to be brief due to being "off-topic", but for those that don't know (except David Dewey) I probably should have said that the Sprague made records for tonnage that as far as I know, still hold to this date!

I might also say,....it's sure good to see you as active as always on the forum Ralph!

Okay,.....I'll try to limit my "blabbering" to Model "T's now,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 04:08 pm:

That's quite a sight!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

Hey Ricks,
Haven't we already seen this under the thread *WWI Vehicles*??? Check that thread for good comments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

Sorry for the duplication, guys. I didn't read that thread.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration