Trying to date a photo by the car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Trying to date a photo by the car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cathy Miles on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

I am trying to date this photo of my ancestors. Can anyone give me the model and year of this car?
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 03:02 pm:

Early 1912 Model T Ford, probably built in late '11.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Baker on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 03:05 pm:

Cathy,
How special to have this great photo of your family ancestors!

It looks like a early 1912 with the removable "stepped down front doors". Early Jno. Brown Headlamps Lamps.

GREAT PICTURE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 03:41 pm:

With the step in the door, I'm willing to bet it's an '11. Here you go Keith!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 03:58 pm:

It has the big bulge '11 style splash aprons and it has '11 type top extensions. I'm with Larry. What say you Keith?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

Love the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 04:28 pm:

The paint is still shiny and the fenders look as if they haven't been sat on yet. I'd say the picture was taken when the car was still pretty new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

I believe the leather top strap to the front is a 1911 feature. The 1912 cars were supposed to have the top strap running to the center windshield hinge.

Also, this car has the headlight gas line running under the frame from the right front headlight instead of through a 1/2" hole in the side of the radiator. You can see the gas line hanging down in the photo. The gas line holes in the side of the radiator were added in June of 1912.

There is a choke rod visible on the left of the radiator and that was added to production cars after January 1911. The 1911's were produced as late as December 1911.

After January 1911 and before June of 1912. From what we can see in the photo, the car itself was most likely built between January and December of 1911 and is an 1911 just as y'all have said.

Ken in Texas

(Message edited by drkbp on February 05, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

headlight doors look to be the 12-13 style,don't know when they changed for sure.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 06:33 pm:

The photo was taken about 6:30 in the evening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

Cathy-

It is indeed a late 1911, probably built between Oct and Dec, 1911. The front doors with the funny little dip nails it.

It has Brown lights on it and judging by the overall nice condition of the car and top, I agree with Mike: the car was fairly new at the time of the photo. Where was the photo taken?

Here is a photo of mine:

I would like to get a high resolution image it it if possible. I'll send you a PM.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cathy Miles on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

Wow, you guys are AWESOME!!! I was sure this was Charlotte and Jacob Hill from Michigan (Kalamazoo area), but this couple is too young if the year is 1911. Spitting image of Jacob, which is confusing for me.
I, too, thought the car looked very new.
6:30pm, I'm sure! :-)
I'm happy to send a higher resolution to you, Keith. I can't get it as focused as I like with my software. You're welcome to it.
Thanks All. I really appreciate this.
Cathy

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration