OT- Late 1931 Model A cast iron brake drums

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT- Late 1931 Model A cast iron brake drums
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 04:45 pm:

I have a friend restoring a late 1931 Model A that has cast iron brake drums. His are too thin to use and is having a problem finding useable ones. I know some of you "cross the line" into Model A stuff....anybody help him out? Let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 05:31 pm:

mikes a-ford-able ford parts was selling new ones a few years back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

Most all the parts dealers sell the new cast iron drums. Look at their catalogs, most all are on line.
If you don't have the repair manuals I suggest he gets at least one of them. They will take you through the steps for installing new drums.
Fordbarn will be a big help and try doing a google search "fordbarn model a; install new drums"

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23223

(Message edited by redmodelt on February 05, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

Snyder's makes the cast iron brake drums. Their number is 888-262-5712.

(Message edited by paulmikeska on February 05, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 08:34 pm:

on second thought, he is probably looking for the original fronts that look like a 32-35 drum, but smaller. better forget that idea, they were used up decades ago! i have one, been looking 20 years for the mate. they do come up on ebay sometimes, but the sellers do not measure them, so worn out, and expensive. nos is not going to happen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

Model A drums originally were made of steel. The cast iron ones Snyder's makes are far superior to the originals. If your friend actually wants steel drums I know where he can buy some. If the car is a driver I would not use steel drums. If it is a show car then there is nothing wrong with steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

Like I said, I don't know my Model A stuff, but I guess these brake drums were only used the end of 1931 and are made of unobtanium! He's been looking and has found 3, but only one was useable. This is some kind of rare solid side panel sedan and is building it for show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

Try Bert's Model A. They have unbelievable piles and piles of A parts. 800-321-1931

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 09:09 pm:

http://modelastore.com/original-parts/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

late 31's were cast iron. never seen a rear, but the fronts are one piece cast drum and hub with holes, or, spokes, like the early v8 drums. many folks call them rocky mountain drums, but really late 31 ford

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration