Look what I found in my rear wheel...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Look what I found in my rear wheel...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

I got 36 spokes and a bunch of other stuff from Lang's and decided today I'd tackle my drivers side rear wheel. This is what I found in that wheel when I took it apart. Under 8 out of 12 spokes, I found tenon shims, 5 of which had two. Between the wedges I found 6 that were doubled 1 that was tripled and 2 that were single. The thicknesses ranged from .015 to .025 and one of them was a whopping .030, that's a lot of slop to adjust for. All those tenon shims my dad made, I just didn't realize how many he made and put in, they are all .010 thick.
I've been driving around with that wheel and all it's extra hardware for some time now. I only started replacing spokes because they were "slightly" loose, probably a good thing I did huh?

Just for the hell of it I compared one of the old spokes with one of my new ones and now I know why it needed all those shims, the new one was a little longer than the old one and even though you can't readily see it side by side like this, it's a wee bit wider too. One thing I noticed on these new spokes is that the hub crown is higher than on the new ones than on the old ones.

I suppose that makes for a stronger wheel, having more wood above the hub plate? I don't know, but it is a noticeable difference from my other wheels. But since I'm replacing the fronts as well, I guess it really doesn't matter all that much. What I'm wondering now is, that if I found all those shims in my rear wheels (and I found not quite as many in the other rear wheel last year), what am I likely to find in my front wheels?!? I guess I'll find out tomorrow....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, February 06, 2015 - 06:56 pm:

With all that extra weight removed from your wheel the car will really go fast now ! :-)

Glad you found it before it was a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 04:15 am:

Thought I'd post Martin's first press.

Martynn Vowell

Pressed the wheel tonight, looks better than the last one I did, but then these spokes are for Kelsey Hayes wheels. Maybe I should order another set and redo that other wheel I did a year ago. But first I'm going to finish pressing the ones I've got, then it's onto seats and top

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration