Double tires LPC

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Double tires LPC
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

Hello all,
Bought the book on Light Patrol Cars (very well done book, highly recommended) And I came across this one picture of a T with double wheels. In the caption it says "...for better traction.."
How did they do this (attach two wheels together) or is it something that was common on the TT?LPC twin wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, February 06, 2015 - 01:48 am:

Robert, that is not a TT. The full length running board is a car item. There are two sets of spokes at each corner, so that means two wheels. I would have thought it a better idea to just fit a second rim and tyre to the existing wheel, as they do with clip on duals on todays tractors. The lack of gap between these would make them prone to sidewall damage on rocky tracks.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

I happen to have the device's that bolts the two wheels together. It is a 3+/- inch long sleeve with internal threads cut for a wheel bolt to screw into from each side. The sleeve goes between the two wheels at the bolt lugs on the rim. One per lug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 12:33 am:

Can you snap a picture of the device? Would like to see what it looks like. Thanks in advance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 08:24 am:

Robert,

Thanks for posting the photo. When you have a chance please tell us the title and author of the book. Also is it a current book or one written many years ago that needs to be located through a used book dealer? It will make it a lot easier to find.

Does it focus on WWI and Australia or a much wider range of patrol cars? Finally -- are there a lot of photos of Ts or only a couple?

Again thank you for posting the photo.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 10:24 am:

Hap, you can purchase the book here:

http://www.amazon.com/Light-Car-Patrols-1916-19-Exploration/dp/1900971151

It is a fantastic book with many pictures of the T's in action... it even includes to reproduction maps in the rear fold of their exploits in the dessert... makes me want to buy a 1915/16 T strip it down and go into the dessert.

Well worth the 35 bucks... I am about half way done with it. Fascinating history.

T in dessert

Desert T 2

desertT 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 10:15 pm:

for those who want photos of these double wheel adaptors, I have a new computer with no way yet to resize my photos. So if you send email to
thom.ty@outlook.com I will send photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 07:06 am:

Robert,

Thank you. That makes it a lot easier to find. Only 11 more months to Christmas and I'm already filling up my wish list to Santa.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 10:36 am:

All I need now is a 1916 with no body to reproduce the this picture... I figure that by stripping the touring body they must have lost around 400 to 500 pounds...

desert T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 06:33 am:

At http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/89588.html Adrian posted a lot of the WWI Model T photos from the Australian War Memorial archives. The originals are available for viewing at: http://cas.awm.gov.au One of my favorite ones has always been the Model T shown below:

The description from the Australian War memorial reads:

“Spey Farm, Belgium. A 'Utility Ford' constructed by Lieutenant Paul Maxwell Martyn, of various parts salvaged from various areas by the 1st Divisional Pioneers at Spey Farm. Captain Arthur Henry Lyddall MC, is at the wheel with 2979 Private Stanley William Haggerty (right). While its appearance was as unusual as that of the area in which it worked, the car proved an effective unit in the 'unofficial' transport of the Battalion.”

On that same thread above they show a couple of photos of reproduction WWI vehicles.

Jack McRoberts at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/376962.html?1377876799 posted some of the photos from the construction on his Ford and at: http://www.desert-vehicles.org/index.php?article_id=223 is a short story of his car. And the same site contains additional information on several other desert vehicles.

Note if you want to build a replica of one of the Commonwealth countries, then you would probably want to round up the parts for a right hand drive car. Or you could produce a replica of one of the USA Model Ts that supported WWI.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 10:38 am:

Thanks Hap! Great shots and thanks for the links... Yes I would have to find right hand drive parts... but then again I can always take pictures then reverse the negative before posting!! I wonder how hard is it to write backwards...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration