Earlier ring gear carrier different?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Earlier ring gear carrier different?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 11:05 pm:

I've torn down the rear axle on my unrestored low mileage 1915 roadster. My second rear axle rebuild. Used the book the 1st time but I can't find it now.
My first rebuild was a Black era axle. I remember it having two pins in the carrier, this earth axle has one despite the hard steel washer having two holes. Not too concerned about all this.
My real concern is if the earlier axles had the pins peened
Over to more or less form a rivet. All the hard steel washers look like this. Tonight I removed the one pin on one side of the carrier and poped the washer off. The hole in the washer
Had a counter sink bevel which got me thinking it was more of a rivit than a pin. The other hole in washer is not like this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

I need to know if I should remove the other steel washers which requires pulling the pins. My first axle had the pins sheared off but they cane out easy drilling and tapping then slide hammer just like the one tonight. but if this earlier axle has rivet s then they might be better off left alone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 11:22 pm:

Btw the thrust washers were bronze and both measures about
.194. The end play was about .08 on passenger side with the
Other being about half that. I'm guessing tho. However I tried measuring it a few years ago. The Washers sho wear and are a bit beat up. The roller bearings are beautiful as are the outer bearing surfaces on the axle. I've got a crack to deal with on the cast portion of one axle housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Friday, February 06, 2015 - 08:32 am:

Bump. Good morning y'all

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 06, 2015 - 08:45 am:

My 1915 rear axle, which has been done before, had and has the normal 2531B pins. Lang's catalogue list those for 1912-1927, but the Ford parts book says 1917-1927. I can't swear they're correct, but they work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Friday, February 06, 2015 - 09:24 am:

Thanx Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Friday, February 06, 2015 - 09:29 am:

I think the Ford book maybe right. I m sure the pins I used on my black era axle were 5/16 or 3/8 with a 1/4 turned portion to fit in the washer hole. The early axle seems to be just a straight 1/4 pin as I measured the hole on carrier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Friday, February 06, 2015 - 09:58 am:

Longing for advice from Mr. Richard Gould. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Friday, February 06, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

Royce, Mike walker, where y'all at?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, February 06, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

Dex -- The pins were not peened originally. They may have become that way in use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Friday, February 06, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

Thank you Mike. I think the earlier carrier used straight 1/4 pins rather than 5/16 with a portion turned 1/4 like the black era axles.

The pinion gear did not want to come off. Finally did with a bang. it looks ok unlike the ring gear.

The ring gear has ugly spalling or however the wear is described. Outer bearing sleeves worn too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 11:31 am:

Dexter, the only help I can offer is to agree with Mike that the pins were not peened originally. From memory I recall the single pins in the early carriers were the same stepped ones that fit in the axle housings, but could be wrong without doing more digging. Ruckstell and Perfecto internal bell housings took a straight pin. BTW there is an excellent article in Tinkerin Tips on how to remove the pins without enlarging the hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 02:52 pm:

Thanks Mr Gould, I'm certain that the one I removed from the carrier was in a1/4 hole and it was on tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 03:49 pm:

The earlier pins were straight, not stepped.

Here is info on an earlier post on this subject.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/474190.html?1409151141

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration