Never Say Never(again)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Never Say Never(again)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, February 06, 2015 - 12:08 am:

As I mentioned before I purchased a 1926 T touring last week, from a used car lot just north of where one of my stores is located.

It was advertised at $8500.00 then $4400.00. We stopped up and looked the car over, not bad for a 1950's amature restoration.

The guy said he was over with the T, his guys had worked on the car for several weeks and could not get it started, so he decided to cut it loose and send it down the road. So I made him a ridiculous offer which he accepted almost before I had finished speaking.

Fast forward to yesterday. My neffie brought a battery and it turned over and the coils buzzed. We added couple of gallons of fresh gas. We decided to life the rear wheels off the ground with a fork lift. He jumped behind the wheel and turned the key to bat, set the spark and throttle, pulled the choke and stepped on the starter button. Damn if it did not start right up and ran very well.

We adjusted the mixture added some water and let it run for a while. After lunch we started it again and decided to take a test drive. Reverse worked well and now for the real test, low gear and then high, and down the road he went.

We were amazed how well it ran and drove. Now I almost feel guilty making such a low ball offer. I got over that feeling quickly.

We think they must have tried to start the car on the mag side of the switch and with no gas so no fire.

Not bad for a hours work and now we have yet another t running and driving.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 06, 2015 - 01:04 am:

Reminds me of a Packard story. A guy in Wichita saw one of those mid-fifties Packards with the adjustable suspension sitting on a used car lot looking like a low rider, almost scraping the pavement. The salesman sold him the car for a fraction of what it was worth because of the bad suspension. The buyer got in, flipped a switch, the car raised up to normal height, and he drove it home.

A similar story was the Kaiser Darrin a used car dealer sold at a ridiculously low price because he didn't realize what it was. He soon found out, and was on the phone to the customer trying to buy it back, with no luck.

It can cost you dough to sell an item without learning something about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eugene story on Friday, February 06, 2015 - 05:21 am:

MY father in law was a john deere mac. and he found out I had a 1928 D. He wanted to get it out of the barn and start it and drive it. I pulled it out with another tractor. He cranked and cranked no start. He took the calb. and mag. off and went through them, back on, no start. He was setting on tail gate Pooped out and sweating like crazy. I got the gas can out of the truck put in some gas gave it a choke turned it over 2 times turned on mag. one more turn and it took off. the back of his neck and top of his ears got red and his nose got white, and I laughed till my sides hurt.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration