Help me identify this car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Help me identify this car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By doug hauge upstate NY stittville 13469 on Friday, February 06, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

is this in fact a model T or dodge. anyone recognize this car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, February 06, 2015 - 10:02 pm:

must be new, the driver sure looks proud!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Friday, February 06, 2015 - 10:15 pm:

1914-15 Maxwell
Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, February 06, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

Very smooth transition from the hood into the cowl area, great looking car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 10:24 am:

I'd like to say I was torn as to what year to put down as identification on this car. For years now I've been gathering photos and files on the WWI era Maxwells as I restored my 1917. The only years that have puzzled me are 1914 and 1915. Many online photos show the square radiator shell shown on this photo and others show the rounded heart shaped shell used on later cars. I have been unable to pin down when the change actually happened. Maybe Richard Eagle can chime in with an answer?

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 11:16 am:

It's good to see that picture Doug. The short answer is early 1915. It matches the picture in my 1915 supplement of the 1914 Parts list.

Maxwell Model "25" began in 1914 with a totally different car than the later Model "25"s like Howard's '17. This car looks just like my 1915 except that the upper windshield on mine is square ended rather than curved and the more Model T looking radiator. There is a little more sweep to the front doors too. I have the remains to one like your picture and have called it a '14. It has the earlier version engine which has an unusual L shaped. A poor design with both vertical and horizontal head bolts. "Dykes" Motor manual says "Do NOT remove head unless absolutely necessary".

This car is a transitional car between the Odd '14's and the typical Model "25"s from 1915 to the late teen's.

I hope this OT information might be interesting to some. I have found this forum and Howard to be more help on Maxwells than any other source.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 03:36 pm:

Richard,
I, for one, do find this all very interesting. And I don't have any Maxwell car. I do know several people that do have a Maxwell. They are wonderful cars, generally reliable, and fun to tour with. I like to keep learning about interesting cars of the era. Thank you.

Howard,
How are you doing?

doug h,
Great photo! Thank you for sharing it here.
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

Wayne, to be honest I'm kind of bored as I planed the end of my left thumb off last month while making floorboards for my Maxwell and have been on the mend since.
Howard Dennis

http://forums.aaca.org/f169/work-safely-just-little-late-warning-387267.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 06:56 pm:

I cringe just thinking about it. Do take good care of yourself, and get back to that Maxwell fast!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By doug hauge upstate NY stittville 13469 on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

I know it is not a T. but my dad and I see the picture of this car flash by in the introduction of the big bang theory and have always tried to figure it out. so I typed into google, how many pictures in the intro to the big bang theory. and it says there are 109 pictures and then it shows all 109. so I click on each one and in the lower right corner of my screen it a description of the picture. well, the one of this car says its a model T ford. dad and I laughed as we know its not. just a little trivia for those cold winter nights. but fun to look and actual see all 109 pictures at my own speed and not so fast its a blurr.at least we now know what kind of car this is. thank you for the help. doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:27 am:

My dad had a 14 Maxwell. He said it was a great car but wouldn't start in the cold so winters he parked it in with the chickens.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration