Improved Car brake lining differences

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Improved Car brake lining differences
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

I was just looking at the McMaster-Carr website and see that they carry a woven brake lining material. Is that the same stuff as the vendors carry or different? Anyone used it and what are your impressions of its braking ability. I have an equalizer in my '26 set up to apply the back brakes before applying the transmission brake. The current linings work OK, but they could use changing. I'm looking for the most effective stopping material as a replacement lining I can find. By the way, I have wire wheel hub and drums so they are pretty beefy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 05:37 pm:

R.D. Ricks told me of a business in CA. that bonds a lining to the brake shoe that is very durable. I think he used them on his yellow pickup, and that truck is legendarily fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

Why don't you call the manufacturer and ask? I'm sure they'll want to hand over all their research, development, tooling and man hours over to you so you can save $2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

Ken, I'm not looking for the best deal or even to save any money. What I am looking for is the best part for my application. And, I guess if your response indicates your attitude I don't need to ever consider doing business with you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

Don't worry about doing business with me. I don't want your kind of business anyway. You're the type that hinders the development of good new parts for the Model T.

If you want personal attention for your brakes then consider hiring an engineer to develop the friction specs necessary for the "best part" for your application. Otherwise, order the parts from a vendor whose supplier has probably already developed the best parts at a price most folks are willing to pay. This development and production cost money and the only way for suppliers to keep producing parts if for them to make a profit on their investment. And this doesn't include publishing trade secrets of their hard work so you can make your own.

If you can produce something better then have at it. I'll be waiting to hear what information you've developed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

Kevin, I recently ordered a woven type lining from them, similar to the original type and used it to reline my small drum original after market shoes. So far so good, vast improvement from the cast shoe, they will actually slow you to a stop much better parking brake. I do have a/c's too. Saved a bit of money too which didn't hurt. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

Keith, Thanks for your feedback. My large drum shoes are lined, but I am trying to see what's out there that will allow me to stop the best with the set-up I currently have. It's been tough to find any information so you can make accurate comparisons of this stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

I've tried to find cheaper lining for improved cars without much luck, the old linings I found at swap meets were too thick, then it's impossible to fit the shoes without grinding off a lot of asbestos..

In a recent posting Howard M a k a Brasscarguy wrote about using winch brake lining designed to run in an oily environment for his 1 cylinder Cadillac. We all know how easy it is for the T to leak at the rear axle ends, Ford even made a pressing in the backing plate for draining off the excess oil/grease mix.. So when the oil seals fails maybe it would be better to be prepared with winch brake lining installed - if it's possible to find someone selling small quantities to private customers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 12:37 am:

Kevin, As I said in my previous post, check with (send him a personal message) about the bonded brake linings he uses. No one on here can tell you whether the vendor's or McMaster-Carr's linings are better than the other, as probably few, if any, have used the McMaster-Carr. I do know that if there is a bonded lining that will stand up to the speeds and braking forces that Ralph puts his through that likely his set is going to last his lifetime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 06:29 am:

Terry, Thanks. I'll look into that.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration