Flat Spotted Tires "Fixable"?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Flat Spotted Tires "Fixable"?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tomlinson on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

I bought a set of 21" tires a couple of years ago that I believe were on a car that sat for a considerable amount of time. I assume they are flat spotted. Is there a way to fix them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 05:00 pm:

Where they inflated while they sat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

Depending on what they are made of they might recover if driven on a hot day at speeds that will heat them up even more. It's worth a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 05:19 pm:

In olden days,some tire stores could "shave a tire" I don't know if they even have that equipment any more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

The last time I had to have a set of tires shaved, the only place left to do it was a 4x4 truck shop, they still did it for the "monster truck" tires that some folks buy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 05:33 pm:

The other 'fix' is to rotate them, one at a time, to one rear wheel position and spin the tire while that tire is jacked up off the ground. Lower the car, by means of a hydraulic or screw jack very slowly until the tire barely touches the ground. Best results are achieved lowering the tire over concrete. Make sure the car's other three wheels are safely blocked to prevent car from 'taking off'. Continue lowering car until the high spots are ground away and tire is relatively smooth. For additional safety, do this with a buddy with one of you in the driver's seat to stop the car in case the car's blocks, fail. My Dad and I did this in the seventies with some new Allstate 21" tires that were out of round, and although a lot of rubber was lost in the process, we finally got them to a tolerable state of trueness. Letting the wheel spin with the engine at idle and the trans in high will spin the tire fast enough to remove the rubber. I have been to tire shops that have a tire machine that is half balancer/ half lathe, and they do the same process, but with the wheel and tire off the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 06:05 pm:

My T tires get a little flat spotted after sitting all winter. After a few miles of driving however, it goes away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tomlinson on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

I bought the tires at our local steam and gas show in the swap area. The tires look really good. I talked to a member and he said the owner restored the T and changed the tires due to the age and sitting. I have no idea how long they sat in one spot. I have had them in the rafters of my shop the last couple of years and it really gets hot up there in the summer, so maybe that has helped. BTW, I do have a local garage that shaves tires, so that is a option.

Thanks everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

If they are nylon that's the case for them, will probably smooth out within a few miles unless they are cracked where they sat, then probably blow out. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

I'd mount them, inflate to 60 psi and lay them in the sun for a few hot days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

...and at the end of the driving year I would put the car on stands and deflate the tires by 1/2. Just my .02.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rik Van on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

Lol in the 90's my buddy had a T he stuck back together using unrestored swap meet and "pulled off the spot where they sat for 50 years" parts including many old tires that had hardened to the point they didnt need any air needless to say taking off in that thing with the dry rotted spokes creaking away was exilerating!recently helped a friend move a dump truck that sat for twenty years when he took off i thought it would bounce right off the road but by the end of the run it smoothed out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

I would run them like they say. If you shave them to the low spots, and then they relax again, you'd have high spots, and the bounce back again.
Tire shaving is for out of round tires, not flat spots.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

End of driving year, what's that? :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration