Hood Lacing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Hood Lacing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

On my 1927 Model T touring with the gas tank in the cowl and the body already on the car.
How do I replace the hood lacing. It appears I can not reach the underside of the dash to install brass rivets because of the gas tank.
Any secrets for installation of the lacing would be appreciated without removing the gas tank
Thanks
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

You will have to drop the tank,sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 05:50 pm:

You may have problems with the lower rivets on each side too. Dan Treace shared a solution for fitting them in this thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/420504.html?1391485556

If the car isn't going to be judged, I would consider pop rivets painted black..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James R. Booth, DeRidder, LA on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 07:14 pm:

Pop rivets worked for me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

I have some rivets that have a pin in the center that protrudes from the head. When hit with a hammer the pin spreads the lower part of the rivet locking it in place. Works well and not too noticable after installed. Sadly I don't know where I got them or what they are called. Maybe some one can help identify them. Can provide a pic tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 09:01 pm:

Drive pin rivets, ebay has them in different materials and sizes. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

Thanks Kieth. I finally found them with a little searching. You posted as I was composing.
http://www.hansonrivet.com/drive-rivets.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 10:41 am:

Thanks for the advice
Garry

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration