Wards Spark Plugs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wards Spark Plugs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

A Model A buddy acquired a couple of boxes of Model A & T parts. There are 4 new-in-the-box Wards Riverside plugs, marked 6E. They look like they'd be Model T plugs. Does anyone know whether this is the proper heat range for a T? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

Mike, I have found those in heads before so I'm sure they will run, can't say about the heat range. I also have some marked ward's standard 1. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

I am running Wards plugs in my T now. I would have to check the number but they do a fine job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

Check today and they are the 6E.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

How early did Wards start using the word Riverside on their products? Don't some T plugs have only Wards on them? Maybe I'm wrong but I was thinking the word Riverside came along in the 50's. Maybe I just didn't notice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 08:48 am:

I have some Wards plugs, and they look just like Champion X's. I tried them out and they run like crap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 10:30 am:

Mark -- Thanks for checking on that.

The paper wrapper on one of these plugs lists the gap setting for several different cars. Most are from the 1930's, and the Model T is not listed. I guess it was too old to mention by the time these were sold. I'll look at that wrapper again when I go to my shop today and report back here to help date some of the things asked about.

These plugs are not the take-apart kind; I expect that those were an earlier design than these.

FWIW, Bob Jablonski posted on another thread that he has been using Edison 14's with good results. I ran a set of those in my T for a year or so and it ran great with them. Couldn't tell any difference between the performance of those vs. Champion X's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

These are mine...as I said they don't run well. I bought them from someone on the forum, I think or maybe Ebay, I can't remember.

They are the take apart kind.

wards

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

Mike - 30's cars listed on the wrapper that could use plugs with the same 1/2" tapered thread as a Model T?
I thought it was an obsolete size after the brass era that only some hit 'n' miss engines used besides the T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

Roger -- I get the impression that the wrapper was generic, not applicable to just this plug. It lists spark gap settings for several different kinds of cars from 1928 through 1942. Some of them are Ford, Buick, Cadillac, Chevy, Hudson, LaSalle, Olds, Lincoln, Mercury, Packard, and Willys. I don't think they all would use this plug.

I just mentioned that to try to get an estimate of the vintage of these plugs. Since '42 is the last model year mentioned, I reckon the plugs were made in the '42-'46 time frame. John Kuehn asked about the advent of the use of "Riverside" on Wards products. If these plugs were made in '46, his estimate of the 50's is pretty close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

I did a quick google search and found that Wards was advertising Riverside tires as early as 1912 and both tires and batteries by 1926.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration