Steering cover screw question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Steering cover screw question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

I wanted some safety in my life so I purchased a steering cover screw from Langs to replace the one I never had. My question is the old screw was put in with the hole in the cover at twelve a clock but the cover now wants to be at six o'clock. So to set the screw in a new spot do I have to do anything special or just screw it in the new spot? Thanks James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

Drill through the hole then tap for the 6 32 screw. Be careful not to drill too far or you'll gouge the outside of the gear case. Before you fasten the lid you may want to remove it and put some grease in the gear case.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

You will have to remove the cover and check the gear case for the slot.It should be at 12 o'clock,but if some one turned the case 180 on reassembly,it will be 6 o'clock. If your slot is at 12 you will have to back the cover up for it to line up.A spacer washer can help take out some of the play(up and down) here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

The case has a corresponding threaded partial hole. If the case is tight at the new spot, you may have to drill/tap a new place for the screw.

Or worn parts could be replaced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

Where would I place that washer Jack?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

I put mine under the steering shaft.Some time back you sent me a message on FB,which I can't read.Send me an email Jackdaron@aol.com.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 12:02 pm:

I put a piece of masking tape on the drill to remind me not to drill down too far. Also, the screws that are available today have too big of a head, and you will have to turn down the O.D. of the screw head to make it like original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 12:49 pm:

Huh, learn something new everyday. I wish this was in place on my doodlebug when I bought it so the steering wheel / top of the gear box hadn't disappeared on the way home.

Will be looking into this on my doodlebug and '25 pickup.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration