Walter Cronkite

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Walter Cronkite
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 09:20 am:

Does anyone miss Walter Cronkite

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 09:24 am:

Mrs. Walter Cronkite .... ????

I know what you mean - I miss Charles Kuralt

I think that is another reason I pretty much live " On The Road " ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 09:43 am:

I miss Lowell Thomas, Elmer Davis, and Gabe Heatter. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 09:55 am:

Yes, I grew up listening to Walter Cronkite on the evening news. We only had three stations and CBS, aired from nearby Lincoln, had by far the best reception, so CBS it was. While Mr. Cronkite was as well known as possibly anyone on the planet (except Elvis and the Beatles?), he seemed to deliver the news in calm and reassuring tones night after night.

Years later I heard him on a PBS interview, saying he wished he had postponed retirement.

"And that's the way it is"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Wasn't he shot down in a Helicopter in IRAQ or was he someone you could honestly believe? I believed every work he said was truth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 10:54 am:

How about Chet Huntley and David Brinkley?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Dwyer in Troy, New York on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:02 am:

Walter Cronkite was probably the last news media personality whom you could trust. He was like a favorite uncle or "father knows best" --- if Walter said it, it was true. And he wasn't twisting the news to fit some politically agenda like they do today.

I remember when he denounced the Vietnam war, in his professional logical way. President Johnson is quoted as saying in response "If we've lost Walter Cronkite, then we've lost the war". And wasn't it true?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:09 am:

I miss him. I had the honor of playing him in a movie once recreating the newsroom scene when he announced JFK's death. A friend of mine was a personal friend of Cronkite and at the time arranged to have Cronkite call me -- as a joke. I have many friends in the voice-over business so when I got the call, I thought it was one of them impersonating Cronkite. So, I get the call and the voice says, "Hello, Marty, this is Walter Cronkite, Mike asked me to give you a call." How did I reply?: "Yeah. Right. And I'm WInston Churchill." It took a couple of seconds and a little convincing to realize it really WAS Cronkite!!! He got a kick out of the call. So did I!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:33 am:

Journalism integrity has really taken a hit the last couple of decades. Seems like even the major news outlets have stooped to tabloid levels to sell the latest "scoop". I began to seriously doubt the major news outlets accuracy and integrity after listening to a PBS radio news broadcast a few years back announcing that weapons inspection teams had turned over 200 metric tons of yellowcake to authorities that were transferring it to Canada for processing into fuel grade uranium. None of the majors carried a word about it. Why? Most likely because they would have had to recant their stories about no "weapons of mass destruction" capabilities in Iraq. No one likes to be wrong...or have your credibility challenged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank M. Brady on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:42 am:

I miss hearing Alexander Scourby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:47 am:

I miss Chet Huntley too. He went to MSU with my Father and Uncle. He visited with them in Montana and later build the Big Sky Resort.
Walter was great too. I watched the "Twentieth Century" program.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:57 am:

I miss Maye West

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 12:01 pm:

I miss my grandparent's America, period.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 12:05 pm:

I miss Paul Harvey! .... and "the rest of the storey"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 01:35 pm:

I had the pleasure to meet Walter one evening many years ago at a restaurant and he was without a doubt one of the nicest and most down to earth folks I have ever met. For someone who was a world know celebrity there was nothing pretentious about him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

To those who denounce Fox News (and call it Faux News), I ask who do they suggest I watch for the truth? Maybe CBS (past home of Dan Blather) or possibly NBC (future past home of Brian Williams). I believe they will be pressured to can him (one can hope).

I don't see the major networks coming around anytime soon. They have an election to slant in the coming future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 05:31 pm:

Paul Harvey's place in the Ozarks was really in Imperial Missouri. His land bordered two side of my parents land. He would come over and ride our horses into a lather then give them back to us to cool down and groom. Paul Harvey was never impressive to me. I could tell you more, but I won't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

I miss common sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 06:58 pm:

What about "John Camron Swazy". He was the first TV news person I remember. His newscast was about 1/2 hour with a commercial at the beginning and one at the end. Today we have a 2 hour news program with commercials lasting 2 minutes every 2 minutes. He also smoked Camels all through his program.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 07:09 pm:

All the news is from the Corporatocracy. Forbidden are criticisms of advertisers and the Military Industrial Security Complex.

Dan Rathers finally revealed a few years ago that the orders came from the White House to fire him after he reported on AWOL Bush in 2004. A reward was offered to verify if Bush served his full term in the USAF Reserve. Nobody claimed the reward.

What other President has trampled the First Amendment in such a way? Obama on Snowden?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

I'm with you, Chuck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 07:37 pm:

And why on earth would you believe anything Dan Rather "revealed"? He lost ALL journalistic credibility with his "proof" of the "wrong doings" of the evil G W Bush.

If your claim is true (and I don't believe it is) your girl Nancy and your boy Harry failed to uphold the office they were elected to serve. That outrageous claim would certainly fall to the high crimes worthy of impeachment. I doubt there are any facts here to back Danny's claim just as there was no real document backing his first one. I guess you're free to believe whatever conspiracy theory you choose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

Anybody remember Ronald Reagans radio show that was on during lunch hour? He inspired a LOT of people before he became President through that radio program.
He wasn't perfect by any means but he was a great proponent of the American dream who didn't apologize for who we were.
What we have now has got to be the most ignorant guy to come along in a great while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

The guy we have now holds no red lines that can't be crossed. He says he does but his action says otherwise. The king of Jordan wasted no time in showing the world what leadership looks like. Our guy sat quietly on his hands as he has done for six years now.

Back to the original topic. Yes, Cronkite would have exposed this guy long ago. Wished he were here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

Thought You'd never ask, Gary:

http://www.awolbush.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

Ralph, If your boy is so great, why don't you support his ideas of leveling everybody by giving away your T to someone who needs it because he can't by his own. You probably agree that you and I should be taxed more so that poor fellow who can't work because of his drug addiction that has to survive on a disability check, can make as much as us who worked and retired from 3 jobs. Isn't that fair? I forgot---everything is Bush's fault!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

Rick, while your website "awolbush" is interesting, I don't see how it relates to Gary's point regarding action vs inaction when it comes to kicking some ass when needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

There are many more "news" shows now than back when. Most do what is called narrow casting. They pick their audience (mainly because you can't reach everybody like the big 3 back when). Right, left, center, dem, repub, whatever. You hate some and love others. Just keep one thing in mind: If you watch and agree with much of what's being said it's because you're being told WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR. Most don't broad cast. That is spread a number of various opinions for a wide audience. Their aiming at you whatever you are and you'll probably find someone you agree with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

Ralph, just a thought, but you might try giving it a rest. Bush hasn't been president for six years, and the famous memo that Rather ballyhooed that was supposedly written in the 1960's or 1970's in a Texas ANG office was clearly produced using MS Word and a laser printer. One of my many additional duties as a lowly USAF personnel officer was being responsible for the office machine inventory. Trust me, even at a SAC base with B-58s and Titan IIs, the only secretary in our building who didn't have a manual typewriter was the colonel's secretary, and she had an IBM electric typewriter (not even a Selectric yet). She didn't have MS Word (which wouldn't be released until 1983) or a laser printer (1984). The memo is so bogus that it reeks.

Why not concentrate on the MSNBC discussion of Obama's undergraduate and graduate academic performance? Oh, wait. There isn't one.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 12:17 am:

I am 59 years old and grew up on "The Nighty News" The difference that I see is that I did not know what Walter Cronkite's political bent was until he had been off of the air for years. He some how managed to just report the news. The highly over compensated doofuses that are now reading the news (and in some cases making up the news to fit their particular narrative) off of a teleprompter, have no problem reporting their views as facts. Both sides are equally quilty of this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 12:37 am:

Dick, IBM Seletric golf ball typewriters with supersript/subscript were in almost universal use by 1968. Criticisms I saw of the 1972 letter claimed that only a computer could do the subscript/superscript. Don't forget, that ANG group was for the Country Club set. Can you verify the IBM Selectric didn't have an FSN by 1972?

Bush's goal to be a War President by invading and destroying Iraq will be with the world for generations. Saddam the Sunni held the majority Shia in check for all those years. Now the Shia are in charge and persecuting the Sunni. That's why ISIS is succeeding in the Sunni parts of Iraq and the Shia Iraqis are getting help from Shia Iran to fight them. Wasn't Iran part of the Axis of Evil? Way to go, Bush: give the majority of Iraq to Iran.

You have it right, Charlie.

Can any of you tell me why it is fair to tax earnings on investments at half the rate of earnings by work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 12:55 am:

In my case it would be that that in order to invest I have to use post tax dollars (already taxed dollars) to try and make a buck (that will be taxed again).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 07:48 am:

I used to run a Maine Windjammer schooner out of Rockport. One Sunday morning a nice sailboat came up along side and the capt. started asking questions about my vessel. It was Walter C. His floppy hat and sun glasses fooled me. I invited him to raft up along side and come aboard. We spent a fun forenoon talking boats, the Maine coast, weather and such. Later that fall I got a pkg in the mail that contained his book on sailing nicely autographed. It is one of my treasures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 10:04 am:

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Cronkite at the New York Hall of Science. -This was back in 2004, at the occasion of the dedication of the newly restored Mercury-Atlas and Gemini-Titan II rockets (which had previously stood for forty years since the 1964 New York World's Fair). -I'd never met a more humble gentleman—nor one of more figurative stature or literal accomplishment.

It wasn't till well after his retirement that he let it be known he was a staunch liberal and I think that speaks volumes about his journalistic integrity—especially when one considers the politically-charged era in which he operated. - When he said, "And that's the way it is," America could depend on it. -He has all my respect.

http://themoderatevoice.com/39692/10-reasons-why-we-will-never-see-another-walter-cronkite-again/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 11:18 am:

Ralph, you will have noticed through the years that I don't participate in technical discussions about the Model T. That's because I don't know enough to do so. I do know something about language and communication, though. First, the way an IBM Selectric did superscript was by rolling the platen half a line down so that the next letter was printed half a line higher on the paper. (My Olympia portable had the same feature.) The letter itself on the "golf ball" didn't change size. MS Word uses a smaller font size for superscripts in addition to putting them above the line of type. Second, IBM didn't offer proportional spacing (and a Times Roman font) on the Selectric. Third, the Selectric didn't use "curly" quotes. The real irony is that the forger could very easily have gone on line and found a typewriter font that would work fine with MS Word and a laser printer. As an experiment, I did that.

On the other hand, the likelihood of my changing your mind about George Bush and the likelihood of your changing my mind about Barack Obama are roughly equal. About like this:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 11:45 am:

Dick is exactly correct. Political arguments are an exercise in futility. You're not going to change my crackpot political notions, and I'm not going to change yours. The odds of persuading anybody in that department are about the same as for winning the lottery jackpot. You might as well go out and shout at the weather to get better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

Steve, when I was in the Air Force in the mid-sixties, there were about a dozen of us who were friends and stayed in touch through the years. In 2007, we decided to have a reunion. One of us lives in Colorado Springs, so that's where we went. We had such a good time that we decided to do it every two years (2009 Portland ME, 2011 San Francisco, 2013 Chapel Hill NC), so June 2015 will be our fifth. Our political views are all over the map and we decided - more or less tacitly at first, I guess - not to discuss politics. We only see each other for three days every two years and don't want to waste the time. Too much other stuff to talk about. "Say, remember the time....?" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

Used to listen to Gabriel Heater on the radio during WWII. He would say,"I have good news to report" or, "I have bad news to report" and then tell the story.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 01:47 pm:

He always led off with, "There's good news tonight!" The good news always came first, then the bad.

I don't know why he's facing the back of the microphone.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

It's a shame that Ralph, in his own personal health situation, has to be filled with so much hate. I suspect he'll take it to his grave though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 02:22 pm:

Steve,

Altec mic?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James R. Booth, DeRidder, LA on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 03:24 pm:

I very much enjoyed reading the comments about Brian Williams getting caught in his exaggerations - well deserved. I am surprised that no one, either here on the forum or in the news has even mentioned (that I have heard) little Ms. Hillary's comments about "coming under fire". I am not even sure if she ever acknowledge it was not true and let us not forget, she will probably be a candidate for president.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

Fred, I started by answering Gary's invective. I don't hate anybody more than the majority here hate Obama and the poor.

Here's a challenge. Which is better: 50% corporate income tax, or 0%?

With 50% tax, the corps are more inclined to invest profits in R&D and employee retention. After all, it is costing them only 50%.

With 0% tax, the corps see investing profits in R&D and employee retention as totally out of their pockets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 05:17 pm:

The only problem with your tax theory, is that at 50% tax, the corporations move to another country to make their product. R&D is not done as a tax shelter, but as a way to stay ahead of the competition.
Steve, probably that was the only side of the mic with the network letters on it!
I miss Walter Cronkite too, I had no idea he was a staunch liberal--I did believe he was a great supporter of the space program though.
As for Politics and Politicians, Dick had it right, we're not going to change anyone's
minds! We might all agree though, that we don't trust politicians!
One does have to be careful around this forum though, as Model T owners are known to be cranky and trying to start something!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

Jerry, yes and no. During the war years the 639-A was Western Electric. In 1949 manufacture of it was taken over by Altec-Lansing. It was very popular, and they continued it up to the late sixties. CBS and the NBC red and blue networks stayed mostly with the RCA 44-BX and the RCA 77-D, but MBS used the 639-A a lot. That's a generalization. You see photos of folks using all three models, and several others, on all four networks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Hansen on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

I have a different take on Cronkite, unless I missed it above. During the Viet Nam era never once did I hear him or for that matter any other news caster say leave the kids returning home alone, they were in Viet Nam whether they wanted to be or not some drafted some enlisted, but they were there.

Cronkite and others with the power of broadcast could very well have told and encouraged the peaceniks go after the government, don't call our returning Servicemen baby killers, spit in their face and other physical/verbal confrontations.

These people coming home only wanted to be left alone serve the remainder of their time. No bands no parities no parades just left alone

There no doubt are a few who read this Forum who were in Nam or had friends or relatives and fully aware of how the kids were treated

If anyone ever heard any of the big names in broadcasting say leave the kids alone post it

I have absolutely no respect or really give a damn about the likes of Cronkite. There is more could be written, enough said

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

Gerald, as a Vietnam Nam vet, I second that emotion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 10:33 pm:

Gerald, John, I'm with you guys. It was obvious we weren't going to be treated as anything special and we didn't ask to be. We also didn't ask to be treated the way we're being treated by this current administration.

I grew up in Northern Minnesota on the Iron Range. I learned to appreciate the Democratic Party for what they did for labor. I also learned to respect the Republican Party for providing the capital to keep the miners mining, the farmers farming and our logging industry operating. But somehow in the last 25 years those noble endeavors were lost to some of the worst pack of liars and thieves in history.

They call themselves Democrats and Republicans. Then they started calling themselves Liberals and Conservatives. From there they went to the Progressives and the Tea Party. Well folks the Progressives sure as hell don't represent the Democrats and The Tea Party isn't anywhere close to following the ideals of the Republican Party.

I remember men like Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, John Kennedy and Ronald Reagan. These men were respected heroes in the world. They were in office representing their constituents to the best of their abilities. But now the best this country can do is people like Hilary Clinton, Rand Paul, Kris Christy and Elizabeth Warren. Jeb Bush? Rick Santorum? Joe Biden?

I've probably got another 20 or so years left for myself. During that time I expect this to become a third world country very similar to places like North Korea where the elite government control and take from the starving population. Unless the people in this country don't fight back against total government control and take back this country we are in very serious trouble.

I'll continue to vote as I always do because it's my right. My brother and I fought for it in Viet Nam. My Dad and my Granfather fought for it during the World Wars. My uncles fought for it in Korea. Men died for it. We've shed blood all around the world to protect it. And if we don't start to work toward saving it, we're doomed to lose it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX. on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

Marge and I gave up on Willians 2 years ago when it became apparent to us he was more interested in making news than reporting it. Time and events caught up with him. I like to listen to Howard K Smith. Cronkite went to my highschool and I had his English teacher. Well, this was in the late 40's and he hadn't reach his high's at that point but Mrs Oatman,(teacher) told me about him and how good he was with words, hoping of course I would rise to greater things. He did and I didn't so, there. Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rik Van on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

I miss Marlin Perkins Wild Kingdom brought to you by Mutual of Omaha and of course Howie Cosell

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration