Old Photo - Uncle Fred's First Car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Uncle Fred's First Car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:05 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza, north adams ma on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

Is it me or do the front wheels look like 30 by 3 1/2?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 04:06 pm:

The perspective makes the front tires look bigger but the front spokes look longer than the rear spokes like a 30 x 3 would. Too me anyhow.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 04:06 pm:

To me the rears looks fatter. The fronts were closer to the camera, that may cause them to appear larger - and the rim diameter was larger. Looks like a '16 - and it seems like they got tires with the thread rubber mixed with coal powder just like the '17-'23:s or thereabouts. But while the '17:s had smooth tires on the front wheels only, this '16 looks like it had smooth rears too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Makes one wonder what uncle Fred was up to in 1916?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

Sure is dull paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

Given the dull paint and uncle Fred's clothing, which I would guess is a later style than 1916, perhaps he didn't buy the car new and/or this photo was taken some time after he purchased it. The notation, "Uncle Fred's first car" doesn't say "new", perhaps another indication it was not new.

Pure guesswork, but interesting.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration