Old Photo - No Your Other Left Hand!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - No Your Other Left Hand!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:09 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:12 am:

Spats?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:23 am:

Leggings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:42 am:

Must be a '17? Round felloe wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

Those were also commonly known by the name "puttees". I have several pair. One pair look just like that, lace the same way and all. I also have a military pair that lace in a zigzag the whole side. Both pair are way too skinny for me, even years ago when I was skinny as a rail. When I wore my WWI uniform to honor WWI vets in parades years ago, I usually wore what were commonly called "wraps" which were a long and about four inch wide piece of cloth literally wrapped around and around the leg from the ankle to the knee. Original photos of the war front show that many soldiers did in fact wear the wraps. After wearing them a number of times, I began to wonder what the reasoning could have been? They were difficult and time consuming to put on properly, and would not stay on if they were not done just so. I would have thought the puttees were more practical. Maybe Gustav can answer that question?

The T must be a '17. Wheels, early wishbone, and it looks like the riveted windshield frame mount. Nice and shiny yet.
Great photo! Thank you.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

The leggings were called spats which is short spatterdash, here in Texas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:29 pm:

And Spatterguards. Kept pant cuffs clean, dirt out of shoes and insects from crawling up your leg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 06:59 am:

Larry,

Yes, 1917 also confirmed by the windshield which still has the equal length hinges. Those were discontinued during the 1917 model year.

And a cool radiator or he would not have his hand there.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 07:14 am:

I was also told that they wore leggings, spats, or what ever you want to call them to keep ticks off the soldiers legs. They camped in fields and wooded areas that ticks thrive in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 09:34 am:

Here's the correct way to crank. Not that many of us do

516621-flip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

Actually, that make's it look like he's pushing down which is a BIG no-no, whichever hand you choose to use.

I think you guys make WAY too big a deal about cranking right handed. Truth be known, more do than don't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 12:38 pm:

It is more important to know where to set the spark than which hand you crank with. Certainly it would be good to learn to crank with the left hand but many of us have done it wrong for many years and lived to tell the tail.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

When I was stationed at NAS Sigonella, Sicily we had some nice big centipedes about 6-7 inches long. As the air field was just being set up we were using artificial lights powered by portable generators. One night we were sitting around a light playing poker when one guy jumped up screaming and grabbed his pant leg. As he was shaking his pant leg one of the centipedes dropped out. Happened more than once. Always good for a big laugh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

And if you have an Anderson timer and it fails to start on the first swing, have a glance through the windshield and make sure the spark lever has stayed up before cranking again.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration