What's In Your Drawers?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What's In Your Drawers?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:42 am:

I have two stacks of 20 drawers each map and file cabinets that I keep a lot of small stuff in. It makes it a whole lot easier to find things your looking for instead of poring through countless cigar box's etc.

Here's four of those drawers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

jay

I could only hope to have storage space like that ! Great system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

Not as impressive as Jay's. After I moved the junk out of the way to take pictures I couldn't find my camera. Good Idea for a Forum thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

You guys have to be retired!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 02:32 pm:

Boys, Those drawers reveal Way too many out of circulation parts!

If they're yours it's hoarding, if they're mine it's a fine collection of preserved parts. My problem is I'm running out of drawers in which to keep my preserved parts! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

50 cents for the model a tail light bracket was a buy! looks like fun drawers, both you guys

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

Well, now I understand why I can never find any "good" or "cool" parts at swap meets; YOU guys have all of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 05:50 pm:

Richard, Your more organizied then me.

Here's a few more drawers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 06:10 pm:

Still looking!

Can't find what used to be there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

Jay, are you sure you got enough timer covers?? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieT on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 07:51 pm:

Jay, that Sandy Hollow, NY Fire Department Captain's badge in one of your drawers brought back memories. In 1948 Henry Austin Clark, Jr. founded the Long Island Automotive Museum in Southampton, Long Island, NY. He also founded the Sandy Hollow Fire Department on the museum grounds to display his collection of antique fire fighting equipment. Here is a link to the history of the badges. (it's a long link so you may have to copy and paste the link into your browser)
http://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/index.php/blog/article/thursday_july_22_2010_a ustin_clark_jrs_sandy_hollow_fire_department

Also, here is a link about some of the history of the museum.

http://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/index.php/blog/article/what_was_the_long_islan d_automotive_museum

As a youngster I spent many enjoyable hours at the museum and Austin gave me several rides in some of the fire engines. He also gave rides in many other museum vehicles. That was a neat time but the museum has since closed and the buildings are in a state of disrepair today.

So, Jay, I'm curious, how did you acquire the badge and do you know any of the history of your badge?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

Jay, That's where my extra, steering column lowering aluminum casting went to, How did it get in your drawer ... :-) Also, have you posted anything before, about that fan blade that looks like it has swiveling blades, ?? Looks interesting to me ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

JAY!!!!
Now you done it!!!
This will be a LOOOONG post continuing for months.
Darn it guys!!!! Now I'm drooling (slobbering really!!!) over your photos of your drafting cabinet drawers.
Donnie (you KNOW this about me!!!!!)
Mine are all in Milk cartons. stacked like firewood. Labeled of course! Awaiting there day on the assembly line.
Wow! you guys have some interesting (junk) lol. Thanks for this forum and digital photos.
Drooling,
Joe in Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

I too have Several of Sandy Hollow Captains badges. I got mine a few years back from Wally Mcarthy who stills lives on Long Island.

Wally as a young man often worked weekends for Austin doing odd jobs. He was not paid but after accruing some time, he was allowed to go out back to the "yard" and take a few parts.

Wally and his father had an interest in Simplex cars and as there were several chassis and parts cars out back. He decided to start picking up Simplex parts. Wally still has one of the Simplex speed cars the today.

When visiting Wally a number of years back he still had a number of artifacts from the museum. I got several of the badges along with a couple of bumper cards, from him.

I gave one to my good friend Captain Bob Strieter of the Ventura County Fire Dept. Bob is a brass car guy has a 1911 T, and I thought it would look nice in his collection.

Wally is a wealth of knowledge regarding the Long Island Automotive Museum as he spend untold hours hanging around Austin and helping him drag in more cars and parts.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:03 pm:

OK, Heres my little 2 drawers in the house. They are in my 1921 Snap On dealer tool cabinet. Im to lazy to go out to the shop right now ... :-) :-) Sorry the pics are a little fuzzy, I just could not get a good pic of the cabinet.

snap on 1

snap on 2

snap on 3

snap on 4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:18 pm:

Its funny how you never notice something till you take a photo of it. The area at the top of the left door is for the Snap On tool bags. I always wished I had a bag to put there. It is the same size and appears to be the same bag as the model T 26-27 bags. I never noticed it before now ... I bought several 26-27 bags from Terry Woods last year at Chickasha. Thanks Jay for the thread, and thanks Terry for the bags. Now my cabinet has two bags, and looks more complete :-) :-)

snap on bag

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 05:07 am:

Richard, the first drawer that you show appears to be a case for fixed printer's type, is that so?

Dane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 06:39 am:

Dane, I believe so. It was by itself at a swap meet without a pull. Too nice to pass up and cheap.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 08:01 am:

CharlieT, My story of hanging out at the Museum is pretty much the same as yours. Austin tried to talk my Dad into buying a 1918 fire engine he had out back that was in rough shape for a whole $50 but my Dad passed on it.

I got the badge later in life at a swap meet to have as a reminder of those days spent wondering around the Museum as a kid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 09:23 am:

What car do you use the Betsy Ross flags on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 10:37 am:

One More.

P.S. I envy anyone who knew "Austie".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 11:00 am:

A great auction buy was this set of drawers for $5.

I don't remember what I paid for these, but they were another auction bargain.

My sorting "table".

When it comes to getting organized, just call me Sisyphus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 11:12 am:

Steve, it is more important to get work done than organize. I believe we talked about that bench before but I like it.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 11:21 am:

Cool stuff guy's.

The Betsy Ross flags came with a radiator neck flag holder and are to fragile to run on a car.

Here's a few more draws of T stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

Dane and Richard; yes, that is. Type case, also known as California Job case. I used to set lead type and knew every slot.... Couldn't remember them know, it's been 37 years since I did that. But yes, it's a type case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

Thanks Gary!!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration