Bidding war on e-bay again ..

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Bidding war on e-bay again ..
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 07:50 pm:

I thought I would like the "saefty star" on the speedster, maybe 45 to 50 bucks.... "wrong" ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Buick-Hubcap-Model-T-Hubcap-and-Safety-Star-lice nse-plate-reflector-/161583149162?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675 .l2557&nma=true&si=nisPjRMQt83xDQDxKbpXRGtQ73M%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

If it's an original they aren't cheep! The repos go for a lot less in the 30 to 50 buck range. There are usually several on ebay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

Looks like there were 7 different bidders who bid more than $100.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

This one is a better than the normal one, but still, it amazes me sometimes. But there is also an item I have in my "watching", It is something I "need" it is also very, very, hard to find, so when it ends , I may end up giving 4 to 5 times what it is really worth. But if somebody else beats my price, It will have to hurt his pocket book, as much as it will hurt me not to get it... I love it when that happens on "my auctions" Im selling. Just not so much, when Im bidding ... :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 10:13 am:

one of my friends says "whenever you buy on ebay, you paid more than anyone in the world" ! but somtimes ya just gotta have it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 01:24 pm:

Clayton, It can go both ways on e-bay. I get some extremely good deals there also. I just bought 3 NOS sets of genuine Scandinavian bands (the good ones) for my 1927 T to have as spares. I got all three sets for the 19.95 start price. I was the only bidder, because he did not have the words "Model T" in the title. I also "bottom feed" I may be bidding on a hundred different items at time. I place a ridiculously low start bid on them and just wait. I usually buy one out of the hundred each week. I also search for poor listing practices or common mis-spellings of key words. Its just a game, and sometimes Im the winner... There are lots of key word searches that will turn up T parts in places you would not think of them being listed. (they are my trade secrets) but it is fun, and probably is the "new swap meet style" that we will need to learn when "real swap meets" are no longer allowed ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

Donnie;
Not much of a trade secret! LOL He He
I also have a few key miss-spelled words I sometimes use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

Donnie you are correct on your methods, i do it too, but can be very time consuming. the best part of selling i think, is there is money in the pay pal account, so it seems so easy to bid when the cash is there, and came from something i either had no interest in, too many of, or hopefully made a profit, then i can act like a drunken sailor and just bid!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 10:07 am:

The "drunken sailor" term fits very well :-) and the pay pal money is the same for me, It is not "real money" its just something I got from selling things from the parts pile. Most of my E-Bay sales bring more than I would have asked if selling them at a swap meet. The vast majority of my parts I have are the things left after buying large hoards. The profit has already been made from sales made years ago. So it really does not matter what I get for some things, "its all profit"... All my pay pal money is "play money" or "Chickasha money" or the "next hoard" :-) :-) :-) I hear people complaining about e-bay. I am over 1000 e-bay auctions now and still have 100 percent positive feed back. and have had no problems with anyone yet. The only item I never received (or got a refund from) was a "magic trick" I bought. I later found out the seller was located in the World Trade Center. So I do not even consider it a bad auction. As to time consuming, I have so many "saved searches" now that It takes less than an hour each evening before bed time to catch up on everything. I spend more time here on the forum than I do on e-bay. :-) Oh, by the way, do not bid on my saved search, very, very, rare item I mentioned above, or we are going to make someone a very happy seller... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Bolser - Danville, IL on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 11:25 am:

Donnie,
Search ebay for Safety Star License Plate Topper.
They all look like re-pops as cheap as $14 up to $695.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

Well I won the parts. Here is a classic example of how sometimes a part will bring more than you think it should. I am using Disteel Wheels on my speedster project. I did not have the medallion for the center of the spare tire carrier. I have only seen pics of one spare tire carrier, and never any for sale. So this is probably my only chance to get it. And too boot, there was the Disteel air gauge. I figured the parts to bring near 100.00, so I was close. But my "proxy" bid was 251.00. The only way to justify a buy like this is to sell some more stuff. I have already sold plenty extra parts to pay for it. No family funds were spent and now I have a medallion and air gauge :-) :-) :-) and I did not even have to get into the Chickasha funds .:-) :-). But, now there is a real high chance that someone here will e-mail me and say they have three of them in NOS condition, for 25.00 each ....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-DISTEEL-WHEELS-BRASS-EMBLEM-amp-GAUGE-1911-FORD -RACING-MODEL-T-/391046877974?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l25 57&nma=true&si=gH6dliefftwy4ZtV3CXRottp464%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

Wow, Donnie, congratulations! It is always nice to not have to shell out that "I really don't want to pay this much" price. There have been a few times I placed bids and began hoping I would not win it after others bid it up a ways.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration