Inner tube cost question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Inner tube cost question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

Why are some of the same sized inner tubes reasonable priced (15-20 dollars) and others are expensive (50+ dollars).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

Part could be rubber vrs metal stem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:17 pm:

I run 18" knobies on the rear of one of my speedsters. The stem hole is a little offset, but, not enough to matter--or, so I thought. After rapidly going through 2 pair, I sprang for the ones that cost 4 times as much. They had the correct offset stem and were thicker. That's been several years and they're still fine. My experience with all the vendors has been that they'll tell you about their products if they are junk or good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:37 pm:

I have pondered running tubeless. Obviously it wouldn't work with the "collapsible 21" rims but might on the welded wire wheels if they were in really good shape. I would probably have to "slime" the bead area
I have run tube type Michelins on Dayton wire wheels tubeless 15" size. They needed to be slimed at the head a bit to hold air nicely

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 07:35 am:

Les, I wouldn't recommend running tubeless. There is no lip in the bead area of the rim to hold the bead if pressure drops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 09:56 am:

John
So you think a person could have a sudden depressurization?
No different than a "blow out" that most of us have experienced at one time, right!
We have all seen people lose a 30x3-1/2 tire when it goes flat driving.
My observation is that I get fewer sudden flats on tubeless tires. Sure you will come out and find a flat (usually on a rear tire) first thing in the morning(or after the vehicle has sat for awhile), but rarely while driving.
With a tube type it will go flat as soon as you pick up a nail. With a tubeless it will generally seep very slowly while driving

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 02:10 pm:

I guess I'm adding to the thread drift here, but you mentioned something Les that I might elaborate on, for what it's worth:

You said finding a flat,....."usually on the rear".

I had an uncle that was in the tire re-capping business back in the '50's. Consequently, he knew a lot about tires, and most of his knowledge was from experience.

He told me that there is a reason that most flat tires are rear tires. His theory was that quite often, a front tire will kick up a nail or screw or something and because the rear tire is in line with the front tire, the kicked up nail or whatever will land just right (or wrong, depending how you want to say it) and instead of just rolling over the nail, the nail is pushed into the rear tire, and hence the "flat". For that reason, Uncle Ike was very much a proponent of "mud flaps" just behind the front tire in order to help prevent "kicked up debris" from the front tire causing a flat rear tire. Always made sense to me! Again, just one tire-man's theory, but it was based on experience,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

Harold
I agree with the theory

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 04:56 pm:

Yeah Les,....I guess we'll never really know if this is what happens, but it does make sense. Only thing is, I wouldn't like the look of mud flaps behind the front wheel!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration