Another Fink!!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Another Fink!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 04:02 pm:

Although he's been gone 20 some years nobody enjoyed Old Cars and Apple Pie as much as Russ. A Nuclear Physicist and known to some as the Father of Gamma Spectography. He gave lectures all over the world on Physics but couldn't remember to put gas, grease or cotter pins in the proper places. This led to lots of exciting adventures for him. He was truly the "Absent Minded Professor".

Russ would ask you a question and then proceed to tell you where you were wrong. He sold Model T and A parts in his spare time. We all meet interesting folks along life's way and he certainly was one of them. I thought some of you might enjoy the drawing.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

You're right about the "interesting folks" we meet Rich, and you're one of 'em! What a talent!

I have to say tho', that it's no wonder that wheel came off as the tapered roller bearing appears to have been installed backwards,........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

Good eye Harold!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

Thanks for the heads up Harold. I can claim Artistic License.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 05:29 pm:

Rich,
That looks so much like the Rat Fink cartoons in CARtoon magazine I remember that it is amazing.
You are a very talented person. I hope we get to meet someday!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 05:39 pm:

Thanks David. Here is my first Fink from last August. Ed Roth was an influence on me.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/472915.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 05:50 pm:

Used to visit his cousin's place on a regular basis. They used to (maybe still do) have a Fink Family reunion were Finks from all over the country, and a few from outside the country, would attend. I lived about 3/4 mile away from Finks so it made for a nice walk for a 50 cent draught.
http://www.thegilmorecollection.com/nickfinks.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

Rich,

Great Job! I think many of us really enjoyed those models back in the day.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

Richard,
Ah yes, Ed "Big Daddy" Roth--I'd forgotten about him! I built a few of the models of his cars, but even back then I was more interested in authentic cars.
There are two models I remember from my youth that I cannot find today (looking through eBay, etc.); one was a large scale model of, probably a '32 Ford hot rod, came in red plastic and had steering wheels, motorized engine (2 D cells, if I remember rightly); probably 1/16 scale, as it was huge. The other was motorized riverboat paddlewheeler--I think the Robert E. Lee, but can't swear by that--I just remember running it in the bathtub. Again, battery powered--there was a short time when "motorized models" were the rage. The two I wish I still had--although I have the boxes still!-; Star Trek Enterprise with lights, and Romulan Bird of Prey with lights. Left them hanging from the ceiling of my bedroom when my older brother took over the house and I thought his son would like them. Long gone. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

Richard,
Thanks for the memories. I purchased my first Model T parts from Russ. His Snake River trailer was a regular at Tautphaus Park, Ogden, Lagoon, and the Salt Lake Fairgrounds swap meets. I think Tautphus Park is the only one left.

On the subject of Ed Roth, his wife and kids live in Manti Utah and have a real nice museum with a lot of his memorabilia on display. They host a car show during June and open the museum to the public. Additionally they have a pin striping competition, where the original "pinners" (prior to Pintrest) show their skills.
Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfsuVdszQi6QbXkG8_OtbiEXxG zTJKO4WlJGsCCRGiRHGH3nwE

Here's a tribute piece that one of the designers and myself built a few years ago at the "Big Toy Factory" here in So. Cal.

It was on display at the Peterson Museum, and later at the Blackhawk Collection in Danville, CA.

Had a lot of fun building that one! The taillights, flames from the intakes, and exhausts light up. Has sound too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

Well, that didn't work like I wanted it too.

Let's see if my 19 year old son learned me right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

Mike, that is fun to see. The "Outlaw" if memory serves. I remember you mentioning being in Roth's shop. Wow!

Kevin, Russ pulled that swap meet trailer a lot of miles. There are some stories there also.

Russ missed out on the internet but would have enjoyed this forum and would have relished the discussions of water pumps and the like.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

David D. -- Maybe you're thinking about Revell's "Big T." I believe that car was built by Daryl Starbird. I built one of those models while in high school.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

Yep. I was there, but I was just a wee tyke. maybe 4 or 5.

I do remember going to Larry Watson's shop. At least two of them. He shared a lot with M. F. "Butch" Smith on Rosecrans Av. in Bellflower.

Butch had the body shop that faced Rosecrans, and Larry leased the spray booth that sat at an angle and faced the intersection of Lakewood Bl. and Rosecrans in Bellflower.

Later, Larry moved to Firestone Bl. in Downey, just west of Lakewood Bl. That's where he painted Roth's Druid Princess. It sort of resembled the Munster Coach.

I recall going into the office at the Firestone Bl. location and seeing a display where Larry had taken large, commercial-type, incandescent light bulbs and painted each one a different color pearlescent paint to show the selection of colors he offered.

The reason he painted light bulbs was to show how the colors looked on different shaped surfaces and it showed how the pearls would change hues depending on what angle you viewed the bulbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 03:53 pm:

Mike,
I think you are right--that was a LOOOONG time ago, though!
Thanks!
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 12:01 am:

I built the real deal in a T before the Starbird T came out. Only with a 54 Dodge hemi in it. Norman was my inspiration from LA. So was 77 Sunset Strip if any of you remember that program? Used a real steel 23 body for that car. (In pieces from a land fill from WWII). they ditched all of the bodies with wood as they did not bring anything across the scales then. So they ended up here in the Ozarks in creek ditches all over the areas. You could pull out metal pieces with some old wood still attached. If you were LUCKY you got a whole car body (less wood). Me being the KID to all of the restorers I only got to sift thru the left overs. But still I felt lucky! I just had to work a little harder! When I used it to build a hot rod like on TV and in the LITTLE BOOKS They all quit letting me tag along. A couple of years later when I still had originals they all went back to letting me in. They told me that I had not ruined any good cars so I was ok. LOL
Your art work is fa-nominal (sp?)!!! I remember that from all of the CARTOONS magazines! I did not like it then nor Roth's crazy art work with all of the flies and such. But yours has a little class! I think it is the cars. You should bring back Cartoons. Although it would have to be nothing like the old stuff for todays youth. They DON"T understand it the way it was. It's like we all have finally have crossed the century mark where we look back at the 1800's and go surely they did not dress or walk like...! Or the 1700's wearing a wig or stockings and nickers???? Yep fellas we seem that way to them.
For me though...
That was how it was though in the early 60's.
Joe in Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 01:08 am:

If I remember correctly it was "Big Daddy Ed Roth and Rat Fink"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 09:48 am:

Yes Fred it is Big Daddy Roth. The one and only Rat Fink. 1932-2001

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 11:08 am:

A friend gave me his current copy of "Ol' Skool Rodz" and it has some new versions of the old style Art. There is a web site for "Art for Sickos". The "HAMB" site has a Friday Art Show tread. I think this type of Art is alive and well in some circles we may not see often. More power to the young folks who enjoy doing this type of thing in this day and age.

As mentioned before, the Roth Family maintains a Museum in Manti, Ut with much of Ed's memorabilia. They may not keep it open except for their big reunion and special occasions but we were there on a car tour a while back. Cartoons was another entity which cashed in on the Wild style of drawing.

It is fun to think of those days in the 60's when many of us were forming our tastes in the car hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 11:16 pm:

I got a good laugh and a kick out of reading this thread.

I grew up in So. Cal. Riverside, in the late fifties, 60's and 70's. I really do miss this stuff.

Thanks for a good time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

George Trosley is still doing the Cartoons "Krass and Bernie" comics. They are in Car Craft magazine now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 10:20 am:

Thanks for the great cartoon Richard!! I always loved Ed Roth's stuff back then and I think your artwork is a great take-off on his style and humor.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration