Came out with latest oil change

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Came out with latest oil change
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 07:51 pm:

The engine you all helped me get started a few weeks ago needed an oil change and this pin seemed to flow out with the old oil. It's very small measuring 0.698 long 0.153 on the squared off end and 0.129 on the domed end. Anyone knows where it came from and should I be worried? Harvpinpin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

looks like a pin that holds one of the clutch fingers, take the top plate of the hogs head and have a look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

looks like a magneto contact. seems to me you had no magneto, correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

Those measurements are really small. At first I thought possibly a bendix cover screw but I think those are bigger than that in diameter. Could it be off the mag. post? That would be my guess or just some junk that fell in out of somebody's pocket while working on bands. I would not worry too much at this point, at least it came out with the oil but you don't know what is caught up above the drain without pulling the pan (cotter keys). There is nothing that small in the engine or transmission.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

what size are the valve spring keeper pins?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

valve pin!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

looks brass, is it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

Very soft valve pin. I have known guys so cheep that they would use cut off nails for valve pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

one guy in our club that builds a lot of motors,uses piano wire after several new pins broke. end of problem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

I have been using drill rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 10:41 pm:

My first thought was valve keeper pin. Pull the side valve cover and take a look. I'd really wonder how well it would run without it but hey, if your guides are worn bad enough it could be bouncing around in there and actually seating a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

Thanks all, I'll pull the valve cover tomorrow and check the valve pins although it doesn't really look like one. It is brass if that makes a difference. I ran the engine after I changed the oil and it runs smooth, but I didn't switch to mag. I'll try that tomorrow also, and check the clutch fingers. I had the wheels off the ground yesterday and checked the operation forward and reverse, everything seemed ok. I hope it's just something the previous owner let fall by accident. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 11:42 pm:

if its brass, i'm still bettin on the mag post, which means there could still be a steel spring flying around in there. you really shouldnt run it untill you figure it out, lots of damage can be done to things that need the motor to come out to fix. best of luck !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 12:10 am:

How could it be a valve keeper pin? If the engine was running ok this could not be missing. How could a pin from the valve spring area get into the crankcase. When a pin comes out isn't it always found in the lifter valley somewhere around the springs?

Better bet is a mag post and may have fallen there years ago, no way of really telling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 06:00 am:

Being brass and that small, I would think that it was probably dropped in at some time when the inspection cover was off. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 11:01 am:

or broken magnet screw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 11:33 am:

Odd that no one seems to recognise it. Makes me come to 2 possibles: 1, it doesn't belong there at all (totally foreign object) or 2, it's only part of something that broke off. By that wear pattern in the middle you'd think it would have been trapped pretty good. Then again whatever it was holding might have broke and it fell out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harvey cash on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 11:57 am:

After a great deal of research this morning I came across this picture and the pin I have looks very much like the pin on the bottom of the Mag post. I am running a distributor on this engine so the Mag is not connected. Harvpin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

Can't be a valve pin as they are only 7/64" (.109375") diameter. Besides that brass would be too soft for that application.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration