Recovering A Transmission Band Washer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Recovering A Transmission Band Washer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

Recovering a lost Transmission Band Washer can be difficult at times, unless the washer falls to the lowest point and can be observed just inside, when the oil is drained, and the drip stops.

Then the washer can be gripped with a pair of Needle Nosed Pliers and made smaller with a small Dremel grinder.

The washer can be turned half way around, held again and ground out in the above manner.

Then it can be folded in about half and removed through the Oil Drain Hole.

The errant washer.

Washer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

The way I have found to do it is wash the washer down to the drain, hook it with a piece of wire to hold in place. Then fish a piece of thin wire up and out the inspection hole. Tie the washer to the thin wire and pull it out from the top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

I have one floating around in my Grandfathers 25 coupe. It's kept me from driving it because I haven't had the time to fetch it. I've had people say that there is a higher probability that the washer will get kicked into the transmission door screen, but I haven't been willing to take that chance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, February 09, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

It could also be"kicked" into the magneto, or into the gears or somewhere that it would break a part which would require complete disasembly. You need to get it out before you drive it. I had a bolt come out of the driven plate which was kicked up and destroyed the starter ring gear and then landed on the screen. Remove it before driving.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 06:51 am:

I would think it would be stuck to one of the magnets before it can find its way to the drain plug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 07:03 am:

I intend to remove it... Just haven't gotten to it yet. And actually, truth be told, it's not a band washer but a larger stainless steel washer I put against the band ears so they have positive engagement and sit properly. SInce it's stainless, it shouldn't stick to the magnets, but then I guess it depends on what grade of stainless it is. In any event, I'm not driving it until I fetch it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

James, this engine had a distributor, because the Magneto did not work. That washer may have taken out the Magneto.

Mark, the wire trick worked for me about 15 years ago on a 1915 engine. Note the wire is aluminum so it did not stick to the magnets. It did not want to work this time.

Wire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

This happened to once I put a wad of cotton towels in next to the drums , then turn the crank . I got lucky and it was sweat to the top were I got it out . Remember to tie a string to the end of the towels so you don't live one in .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

If it stuck to the magnets, you might be able to find it if you remove the starter (if it has one) and slowly turn the engine all the way around. Might need a helper to turn it while you look in with a flashlight and check each magnet as it passes the hole where the starter mounts.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

Perry, that worked for me once too, with the cast piece transmission cover removed.

I wadded 3 red rags in a ball and stuffed them in on the starter side, then turned the crank a little less than half way around.

I got the washer, about 6 short pieces of safety wire and a connecting rod bolt with no nut.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration