12V STARTER FROM MAC'S

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 12V STARTER FROM MAC'S
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark heathman on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

I BOUGHT A 12V STARTER FROM MAC'S. I IS MADE UP OF A MODERN FORD 12V STARTER AND AND A MANUFACTURED NOSE TO FIT A T. I TRIED TO INSTALL IT TODAY ONLY TO FIND THE ARMATURE IS NOT CENTERED LEAVING NO ROOM BETWEEN IT AND THE FLY WHEEL FOR THE BENDIX GEAR.
ALSO THE FRONT END OF THE BENDIX WILL NOT FIT INTO THE NOSE OF THE STARTER.
MAC'S SEEMED TO BE UNAWARE OF ANY ONE ELSE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THIS UNIT. I FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE I AM THE ONLY ONE???
MARK CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 05:03 pm:

I got one of those for a friend last summer and it fit well, I haven't had a chance to really use other than just once. The two I have for my use came from Larry Becker with no flaws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

Beware of buying starter's from Mac's - there have been previous issues: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/307712.html?1346162437

Fortunately there is an alternative manual starter in the front of the engine :-)
I would make a cover plate for the starter hole and send back the junk starter for a refund.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

Beware of buying anything from Mac's. Most of us use Lang's and Snyder's. Left-coasters use Chaffin's. All the above are way better than Mac's. Bob's is going through a reorganization but has been reliable in the past. Birdhaven recently bought out Texas T Parts, so they should be good as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

Buy your 12v or 6v starter from Daryl Becker, $165, plus shipping and they carry a lifetime guarantee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

What is the contact info Larry Becker?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

A word to the wise.
I have one car with a Becker starter. I have had no troubles with it for 4 years now. However, the nose piece is cast aluminum. Recently, one of our club members had his Becker starter fail, due to the aluminum nose piece breaking for some unknown reason. When broken, the starter now is not operational and this member is hoping to use the lifetime warranty hopefully at the Marietta swap meet, assuming the Becker's attend as they have in the past. A couple of pieces of the failed nose piece fell into the oil pan and not being magnetic, were a real pain to get out.
I guess all in all, we get what we pay for. I am not knocking the Becker starter. I am just saying that the design presents possible failures. In this case, this member will use rebuilds from other supplier who use original cast iron nose pieces, in the future.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration