Drivers door

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Drivers door
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

Recently there was some posting on drivers doors.
Here is one way of adding one. Chickasha swap meet is coming up and there might be one there????
This one is still on my 1915 touring project pile that I hope will tour some day before I depart this world.
The door looks like it will be an almost perfect fit. (I did not cut the dummy out yet)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 06:10 pm:

I just sold a NOS one of these on tbay. seems like a few of these unused ones still around. Not much interest in these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Pleiness on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 06:18 pm:

I sure would like to find one for a 23 canadian I am working on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

I wouldn't think a Canadian T would need one? These were intended to be cut into the USA body where there was no door. A Canadian body should already have the cutout and trimming for the woodwork.
At least some of the standard USA right front doors are very nearly evenly shaped and should work fine on the left side. If one wanted to cut a door into a USA body? It should be very doable with a little careful fitting and work. Plot the cut to fit your door. Cut a little bit inside the door space leaving enough material to fold over and nail onto your newly added door frame. Some torch work may be required to shrink and fit the fold-over.

I like these accessory doors. However, I seriously doubt I will ever have a T appropriate for one of them. The coupe already has a driver's door, the boat-tail no doors and wrong structure, and the mostly '13 speedster is very open with no place to mount a door.
Oh well.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

Nice

Here is the post by Jay showing his accessory door, and the instructions for install!

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/259674.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

Fella came by my shop last year trying to sell a NOS one. Guess he thought I would give a fortune for it. It was nice with door panel and all but I didn't think 200 bucks nice, besides I don't even own a touring. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

i will look tomorrow i think i have some Canadian touring ones upstairs.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 11:10 pm:

Wayne, I have a copy of the instruction for mounting the door. They are not using any wood frame at all. Just screws to attach it to the sheet metal on the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 01:51 am:

Willie, Yes, my understanding was that these were intended to be simply cut and bolted into the sheet metal. However, I did not know that for sure. So thank you for the clarification.
My comments about cutting in and attaching to wood were for converting a USA body to pass as a Canadian type which should have a wooden frame. The wooden frame should of course be made in roughly a mirror image of the right hand door wooden frame. Also, of course, any USA touring or runabout could be so converted regardless of whether the car was intended to be looked upon as Canadian or not.
Just a point of view. One of the great things about this forum is hearing about model T people from around the globe. Here in the lower 48, we are spoiled by an abundance of rough but quite restorable parts. This includes sheet metal body pieces. There have been a couple postings in the past that indicated our Canadian friends do not have it quite so easy. Altering a common USA piece of sheet metal to restore a much more rare Canadian car seems like a reasonable solution to me. Not significantly different than using any such reproduction parts.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 10:52 am:

Wayne, I have always enjoyed cars that are different. My profile car is a good example of what I am talking about.
Some of my earlier plans were to make the 1915 touring into a RHD wide track car with the aftermarket door installed. It may still happen. (I have most of the parts to do it)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

Willie, Don't I know it! Your coupe is one of my all-time favorite "different" Ts!
Do drive carefully, and enjoy! W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration