Early TT rear end and OT 50 Mercury in barn.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Early TT rear end and OT 50 Mercury in barn.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 05:20 pm:

I guess some folks would call this a barn find, but I do own the barn.
The TT rear end was given to me by a neighbor about 45 years ago, I still have not used it, but with some running TT trucks, it is a good spare.
The 50 Mercury was bought by my dad in 1950. It has been in two different barns since 1968 when it had engine problems and was parked.
My two sons think they want to get it running and maybe later do a full restore. Interior still looks in fair shape. I am glad they want to do something with it as I have to any T and TT projects to possible get to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

I tried to say to many T projects, but sometime my M does not work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 05:31 pm:

You may already know:
That TT rear end is an early one. I don't know exactly when it was changed, but only the first year or two had that bead on the clam shell at the axle tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 05:41 pm:

Thank you Henry, but you missed the name of my posting, I did say "Early TT rear end". I never saw the TT truck that the rear end come out from.
Probably before my time as the neighbor was old when he gave me that rear end and the TT was not there anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 05:46 pm:

nice merc. i like the 49 and 50's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

Clayton - Me too! Actually, I like the '50 better because it has a nicer looking dash than the '49. Looks like a nice solid car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

Over forty years ago, I bought two TT project piles. One turns out to be a miss-matched pile of parts. The engine was a '24. The rear end I have in recent years learned was an early one (did not know it at the time). It was not complete, was broken, had been badly brazed up, and I eventually let it go to a local club member. The other thing I remember about it is that it had those early rear end beads on the housings. I sometimes wish I had kept it (although having to move it about five times would not have been fun).
The other project pile got restored and toured for a few years. Eventually, about thirty years ago, it also got sold.
Just reminiscing. A part of me would like to have an early TT truck.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

That Merc. will bring a lot more that a lot of T's.

Its a 2 door and that makes it $$$$$$$$!! Would make a nice Saturday night cruiser.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

The Merc is "sweet" and a 2dr to boot. With your sons showing interest in it. That's great. I do not know there ages or ???, but a nice 50s style build would be nice. Do not alter anything, just do a nice period correct paint job, maybe a red and white re-uphoulstery job , and a little bit of speed goodies to dress up the engine. Maybe even a pair of "dummy spot lights" and some "caddy" hubcaps. That may appeal to them more than a full restoration. And it is not changing anything that can not be re-done later if a full restoration is wanted .. Any way Ill quit "dreaming" now and thanks for showing it to us ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

Donnie - You forgot the most important thing! Duel exhaust with a nice pair of glasspacks! Nothing,.....I mean absolutely nothing has quite the sound to compare to a Ford flathead V8!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 09:10 pm:

That Merc along with the fact that it's been in your family since new, is a gold mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

Having a 1950 two door sedan with a flat head 6 that has been restored, I would like to see the Merc restored as near original as possible. Would definitely not mind the dual glass packs though. Providing it is a V8. It probably has overdrive if it is a V8. Remember it is 65 years old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

Looking at the pictures again, I believe it has overdrive. Under the dash on the left side is probably the handle of the overdrive lockout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

Is that Merc' a two door sedan or a coupe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 10:40 pm:

Yes it is a flathead V8 with overdrive. The replacement Ford engine got removed this past weekend and a correct Mercury engine is being overhauled and the overdrive is also broke and will be repaired of replaced.
My sons are in their thirties and very good T mechanics and also good general mechanics.
I am sure that they have the ability to get it running.
I am looking forward to driving it again as there are some good old memories from when I was young and dad first got the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

Ken, the car has a full back seat. I think it is called a two door sedan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

Get that lead-sled wannabe out of the barn and on the road!!! You have no idea how jealous I am, I've wanted a '50 since I was 16 yrs old and that was back in the sixties, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 12:14 am:

At age 16, my first car was a 49 Mercury. Dad and I rebuilt the engine, it was a good car. Yours is a 50. The 49 thru 53 Mercury engines were in high demand. The stroke was 1/4" more than Fords. The crank and rods would fit earlier Fords.
If it were me, I would fix the mechanical problems and keep it as is. Your car is worth a lot more than most model T's as is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 05:43 am:

Great car :-)

Here's the original Mercury Blues by K.C. Douglas in 1952: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsTfCITzISM

And to be on topic - here's T Model Blues by Lightning Hopkins from '49: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9AGSXiWWko

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 08:46 am:

I am a big fan of 49-51 Mercs. I have had a number of all three years. 51 Merc is my favorite.
Harry, The handles you are looking at on the left side of the steering wheel are the emergency brake and hood release. If you look through the horn ring you will see the overdrive handle (that is on the opposite side of the steering column). Below is a picture of my 51. It came from Calif. Slightly hot rodded, with a 312 and 3 deuces. They didn't mess it up to bad and I was able to bring it back to original. The one in the background, I've sold and is currently being restored to original. I still have the 49 convertible "Barn Find" in my barn. At some point it may be for sale.
These are super nice cars to drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 09:46 am:

i am really surprised reading these post about what to do to that fine old merc. you guys have a fit when some one even veers slightly away from a stock T, yet seem to support customizing this bone stock car. i like hotrods, i dont have any, but i feel when they start with a pile of junk then do what ever you want, but dont take a complete original car and tear it apart for your hotrod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 10:10 am:

Clayton, The style I was "dreaming" of will not change a thing. (other than maybe the color of the uphoulstery) It is all bolt on things. Now if someone wanted to chop the top, punch louvers all over the hood, replace the grill with a "Buick" grill, stick bucket seats in it, ect that would be a bad thing (in my opinion). No different than someone running a water pump or converting to 12 volt (we know where that will take us :-) :-) ) but it is a nice car that should be preserved and running the roads ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 10:38 am:

Donnie, the plan is to get the car running with original equipment.
I remember when dad got the car, he said that the car did not have a radio, clock or heater.
He had the dealer put in a clock and a radio. I do not know why, but he did not have the heater put in. Most the fittings and controls are factory installed, but not the heater radiator???
This is a Mercury, no heater?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Willie -- I didn't think y'all needed heaters in Tejas. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

Mike, it might surprise you but every 10 or more years, we do get some snow. I gets below freezing every year.
Just one trip in below freezing temperature is enough for me to want a heater.(spoiled I guess)
This winter is very strange. We had some freezing temperatures in late November and early December and now it is almost like summer. Almost 80 now and we are in middle February.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

Clayton, Obviously I agree with you.
Donnie, I understand what you are saying, but in this day and age the problem is: if you start messing with these cars, even if it is just mildly, it takes the car from anyone that really wants an original one to the hot-rod customized guys. They will pick it up and say "oh cool" and want to chop the top. That is the end of another piece of history. Since these cars were new, they've been fodder for customizers. Original convertibles have become so rare, that when I was restoring mine five years ago, a few went through high price auctions for between $125, and 150,000 for 51 Mercs. People that I know nationally that are into these Mercs tell me I'm crazy to drive it as much as I do because of the value of it. But as I will never sell it, the value to me is driving it, and drive it I do, even on dirt roads. If you want to see what happens to the majority of these, hit 49-51 Mercury on facebook, one after the other have been destroyed. Most far beyond being able to bring back to stock

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 08:54 am:

Willie,

That is a mighty fine Shed Stash ya' got there ... :-)

Glad the Merc is staying in the family ...

Freighter Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration