Getting Wire Wheels Sandblasted

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Getting Wire Wheels Sandblasted
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 01:46 pm:

I got some wire wheels for my speedster and finally found a guy to sandblast them. $150 for all 5 rims. I'm super excited, gonna get them primed up and painted this weekend. Once I work out the kinks on getting hubs to mate up with small brake drum I'll be in business. Was also really neat cause when I got here they were working on a Model A coupe body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

That's a job that always takes longer than I think it will. Hitting all the places that need it seems to take forever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 03:50 pm:

in Kansas we get then blasted & powder coated for $ 30.00 each.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

I've sent Model T wire wheels and also some modern ones to Les Schwab. Sand blasted and powder coated black for $25 and change each. A limited number of other colors are available. They send them to some place in Oregon and have them back in just a few days. Most recent set was done about a year ago. Best deal I've seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

Hey Charley, where do you get that deal? There was a vendor at the Wichita meet offering to sandblast and powder coat them for $45-$55 each and I thought that was good.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 04:28 pm:

5 x $30 = $150 What is the normal charge for powder coat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

Man I thought I got a pretty solid deal. Yall are getting them blasted AND powder coated for $30 each? That's crazy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

5 x $30 = $150 What is the normal charge for powder coat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 04:54 pm:

They absolutely can not make any money at $30 a wheel. Can you sandblast a wheel and powdercoat it in less than an hour? If you can, you are god and should be a bazzilionaire. To put it in perspective, I work for $25/hour under the table doing mechanical work around here and that is about 1/3-1/2 less than what most others charge on the side.

Just sayin'

That said, get as many done as you can.

Seth, I think you got a fair deal.

(Message edited by Chad Marchees on February 11, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

Yes, I don't see how you make any money for that price. There is a place here in town that has certain days that they sand blast their parts. Its a trucking shop that builds trailers and etc. To keep the cost down (for them) they do a large amount of parts at one time. They wont do just a few items. It takes to long to get set up and load the equipment with sand. This is what they say anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

I just figure the folks that did mine weren't really making a whole lot. Granted, it took him about 30 minutes to do all 5 wheels. But with the cost of sand and gas at $30 a wheel it's not like he will be a millionaire. If there are folks doing sandblasting and powder coating for you at $30 a wheel then they're basically doing it at cost of materials (gas, sand, powder, electricity) and charging you nothing for their time. Lol, by all means, go get a bunch of wheels done!

A little powder goes a long way, a lot further than the same volume of paint. However, that plus the electricity to run the air compressor and the gun and the oven they have to be baked in . . . You aren't paying for any labor at $30 per wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

$100/ wheel up here in the north.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

Talk to a place that sells tires for semi-trucks. Most of them offer blasting and coating for steel wheels. $22.00 per wheel is the going rate around here. I would expect T wires to take a little more labor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

About twice a year lately in Arizona, you can get your entire car sandblasted for free!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

60 each here in Cal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 08:22 pm:

When the wheels are taken to Prineville Oregon by Les Schwab to get done they are mounted on a carousel for blasting so cuts out the man hours. Any pits will remain, this is down an dirty powder coating but the wheels I have seen done by them look just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 10:41 pm:

I just had 4 MGB wire wheels sandblasted and powder coated here in Taxafornia. $200 for 4.
They looked so much like grey primer that I spray painted over them with wheel silver-grey.
From now on I will stick with getting them sand blasted and paint them myself.
I use a medium coat of Zero-Rust and then 2 coats of the final color from either a rattle can or those cheap pressurized spray kits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 11:17 pm:

Brian!that's at young's welding in chanute. i had a complete 1911 overland chases done for 250.00 that was 2 yrs ago. a friend just got his 23 dodge done for 400.00. Charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

Got these babies cleaned up, wiped down, and primed. I'm so excited I can't stand it! Just need to get these rear hubs done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

Looking great Seth!, what color are you going to paint them, yellow like the body?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

Yep! Yellow to match the body. I'm actually going to take the body off, clean it up, get it smoothed out a bit and repainted also. That way body and wheels all match.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

I would caution you to inspect your wheels very closely before you coat/paint .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Kahler- Springfield, MO on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 12:28 am:

I use a guy at a monument place and don't get in a hurry. I haven't had any wheels done yet, so I have no idea what they would cost. Every thing else seemed fair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 07:51 am:

http://youtu.be/EQXSX06IwVw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 08:28 am:

wes! been there done that 35 lbs stay back about 16".it will take out the punk then fill with putty coat. if you want your wheels to look iron.that wheel was to far gone for that.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:34 am:

I'm sure you guys know this already but a inexperienced kid using a sand blaster will ruin your parts if he's not careful.

Wire wheels and rims that look good that are rusted up tend to not look so good after being under a high pressure blaster.

Cracks and deep pits tend to show up. Depends on the shape of the parts of course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:46 am:

So John I would think that would be a good deal at least you could see the defects if there are any.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

I have one that is pitted a bit, especially compared to the others, but I'd run it without fear even if they were all like that one. The others are all in really great shape. I have really looked carefully and there's maybe 3 shafts in the whole lot with a wee bit of bend that I want to straighten before I paint.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration