Moss Bluff Texas Gulf Sulphur Company 1925 chemical fire truck

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Moss Bluff Texas Gulf Sulphur Company 1925 chemical fire truck
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J Marino on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

Red paint all over

F

H

J

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J Marino on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

Six lug wheel adapters

A

B

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J Marino on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 04:38 pm:

Coils do not come out of the firewall box?

C

Another coil box mounted

W

E

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

Neat Rig!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J Marino on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

Brake band shot and replaced

P

O

I

U

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J Marino on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

Wheels replaced

T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J Marino on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

Better photo

R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J Marino on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 04:49 pm:

Rear brakes greasy one one side and stuck fast on the other side

L

K

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J Marino on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

Head or gasket leaked after starting

http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=sybkc6q_TEE&u=/watch?v=VkAmNuol1GU&fea ture=em-upload_owner#action=share

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J Marino on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 04:55 pm:

All of these photos and the video were done with my iPhone 6+ using the "Simple Resize" app and YouTube

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J Marino on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

I forgot to mention the Safari browser app on my iPhone for the Forum posts. I wanted to see if I could use my iPhone exclusively for this post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J Marino on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 07:28 pm:

Evidently, the Moss Bluff Texas designation under the red paint should have been New Gulf Texas instead. New Gulf is near Boling Texas which is on the big sulphur deposit. This truck came from the Texas Gulf Sulphur Company now called Gulfport.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

Anthony, Pretty cool that you used your iphone for the pictures,resizing and posting. I'll have to give it a go from our ipad. Thanks for your post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J Marino on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 07:03 am:

The iPhone "Simple Resize" app made it happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 08:28 am:

Cool truck Anthony. How far do you plan to restore it? Where'd you get your new rear wheels? I had to buy new one's for my '25 TT Pirsch chem. wagon also, got them from Universal in PA. Tires, tubes, also. Those tires were so dry rotted I honestly don't know how they held any air! I was afraid to walk near them for fear they'd "let go" and the lock ring with it, chopping off part of my body! It was $2K well spent!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J Marino on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 08:45 am:

Hi Tim, I wish I owned it. I'm just the photographer, videographer (sp?), and poster. Hopefully, Bobby or Jim will post an answer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Texas Gulf Coast on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

Tim - The wheels came off my TT Wrecker which is currently air born on jack stands. Plan is to get the truck mechanically sound, do a few cosmetic things and add auxiliary brakes. I have rear wheels that can be re-spoked. And maybe even add a Warford I already have. May skip the Warford because there is already a Ruckstell and I am pretty sure the rear end is high speed. After the mechanical is all done I plan to restore the rest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

Bob...sounds like a great plan. Keep us posted with pics!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

Thanks for sharing the photos and story. Neat looking fire truck.

By the way I would guess that the coils in the firewall box might be able to be tilted towards the front seat so they could be lifted out. But when Ford introduced the metal cowl with the 1915 cars he had to modify the coil box lid so the coils could be removed. There may not be enough room on the fire truck -- but there might be. The metal coil boxes on the late 1913 and 1914 cars you could pull the coil straight up all the way out of the box. But starting with the 1915s you have to tilt the coil towards the rear of the car to have enough room to take them in and out. Disclaimer -- it has been a long time since I pulled a coil out of the coil box -- I may have that wrong -- but that is the way I remember it being.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

Hap is right about the tilting of those coils. It LOOKS like the firewall board on the top where the coil is hitting has a chamfer on the bottom edge to aid in that removal. Although, It appears also that your coil still needed to come up a little more in order to twist it out of the incline on the box. Your truck looks real though so that problem surely was addressed whenever the body builders did the job.
Anthony, as you well KNOW, I am sure, MANY of those old fire engines were built in later years for parade usage. Some were the actual old fire trucks from the real station usage, but there was a time, where many of the fire depts. in the 50's and 60's built trucks for competition in putting out set fires to see who was the best. So it is possible to find trucks that never actually saw service other than those old fun-type competition models. Those would have been built up quickly, lack proper engineering, and many were painted RED all over such as yours. Either way, A great find and a well worth while project. Looks like it FOUND the RIGHT man to bring her back to life.
Great Job and lots of luck and success!!!
The really neat part is that you have found a way to use your cell phone to do this stuff with! I know that the KIDS know how to do this all over the place. I have a droid and I do NOT. Sad to say but true.
Joe in Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Texas Gulf Coast on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 06:42 am:

I was able to tilt coils and remove. It was a little tighter than I expected but it is possible. As far as the history of the truck. It is known. It was built as an Industrial / Municipal Fire Truck. Not uncommon in early Texas history an Industrial facility was built on in this case a sulfur deposit. Since there was no town nearby the Company built housing for workers. Often include a Company Store for groceries and supplies for workers. Fire truck served both. Several years ago it went to a museum and they thought a new coat of red paint would help the appearance. They even painted engine red. Today the industry and the "town" are both gone.
I did get the truck out on the road. Seems to drive well. Ruskstell Works. Low and Reverse works fine but after noting the condition of the reverse band I think I want to look at replacing the other two. Mag does not produce enough voltage to run the engine. May try recharging magnets just to see if that helps. In interim I will supply 12v to mag side of switch. Engine is standard bore with original cast iron pistons. Learned that during head gasket replacement. Pretty sure engine is tired. There is evidence of blow by. Carburetor works pretty well but very little adjustment has dramatic results. I am sure a rebuild of carb is in order.
I want to remove timing gear cover and if timing gear is original fiber replace it. Also be sure oil line is clear. There was lots of rotten brake band trash in transmission so I am not sure oil line is clear. Outside oil line was added to assure oil flow for start up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, February 16, 2015 - 07:15 am:

Great parade truck. Good idea to check the inside oil line. Fiber gear is possible - but it wasn't original, just a popular replacement during the ~50's-70's since many modern cars had fiber timing gears back then (but no gear driven generators with often ill fitting gears).

From Ford the original timing gear was steel and should work if it's still there - even if it's a bit worn and gives some noise.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration