How rare is a chain drive T?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How rare is a chain drive T?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Ashmead on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

Ive come across a chain drive model T truck that is all there,but pretty rough.
It is suppose to run,but looks as if the wheels would self destruct with in the 1st 10 feet.
It looks all original & appears to be made by a professional company,rather than a home made job.
However,it must have had a hard life by evidence of wear & miss alignment issues in the sprocket.
It has no cab,but just a home made wooden seat & windshield,roadster stile with no doors.
Are these rare?....or worth much?
Thank you for your time...Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 05:01 pm:

There were chain drive kits to make regular T's into trucks and others to make TT's into bigger/heavier trucks.

I have no personal experience with them, but there seem to be a lot of T folks who do. Post some pictures and you'll probably get a better response.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

Very, very, very rare. So rare, in fact, Ford didn't make any! :-) Chain drive accessory kits were available by various companies but usually for tractor conversions or tugs.

When you say "truck", is it a Ton Truck (TT) or a car chassis?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

Here is an older post with adv of Smith Form-A-Truck to be placed on a T car chassis..

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/170128.html

There are some around, not really rare, but depends on the age of the T chassis, if early serial number, frame, etc. the form a truck may be worth more parted out. Many were sold to modify car chassis in the brass period, prior to Ford making the worm drive TT truck in 1918.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

These accessory kits be came available in the teens and seance Ford did not start making truck chassis until 1917 after the last brass car in 1916,If you want a brass era correct Model T Ford you need one of these kits . Value is in the eye of the beholder . Condition has a lot to do with price as will . I recently bought a 1920 TT truck out of a farmers field because it was so complete and factory correct down to the fact it had a generator but not a starter . I payed 500.00 for it . Sometimes rare does not mean valuable . Trucks just don"t have the wide appeal as the cars do . Trucks are more a labor of love.You can spend more money restoring one than you can ever sale them for. I would have a hard time not buying one of these kits for a car , if it was all there and restorable for around 2500.00 That's just what I would pay . The next guy may be willing a lot more or less .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 07:59 pm:

Tom, Can you post photos?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 08:05 pm:

Keep in mind that "rare" does not always mean "valuable", and condition is always key.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Smith on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

A chain drive T is the type of thing where my lack of will power would allow me to spend way more than it's worth but by the time I got it home the price wouldn't matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Ashmead on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

It is a car chassis that has been retro fitted.
It is suppose to have been in the family since the beginning,& it looks to be in the early 1920s.
Its rough,but would be fun to have...but a heck of a lot of work to get it back in shape.
It has the hard rubber tires ...or whats left of them.
ill see if the owner is around this weekend & try to post some pics early next week.
Dan...Thank you for the link!
Ill compare it with the pics i take.
thanks again for all your help...Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 01:12 am:

chain drive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 12:02 pm:

Hey Perry ! I haven't seen you in a coon's age! I'm glad you found this Forum. So you and your brother still foolin' with old Fords, huh? Are ya'll going to Chickasha?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration