Question for all the "coil" doctors and fixers.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Question for all the "coil" doctors and fixers.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

I have a couple sets ( 8 total) of these KW coils. They may be NOS but unsure. They are dated Feb 1965 (at least that's what it looks like) It is hard to read the date. My question is, would these be a good candidate (and cheaper) to send in, and have adjusted on a coil machine. Or would I be better off just buying some new ones from the "coil guys". I have tried them in my 1927 and while they all work, Im just not sure if they are working right. I also have one "strange" coil. It has brass contacts instead of the solder contacts. The contacts are also concave in shape. I have never seen any like it before. It works OK and Im going to use it on one of my hit and miss engines, but Im just curious about it.

coils 1

coils 2

coils 3

coils 4

coils 5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

I've rebuilt them before with no trouble. I have not ever done one with the brass contacts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 07:50 pm:

Donnie
The stenciled KW coils in your first three photos have a good reputation and can be easily rebuilt. They do have a low value capacitor that will need replacing. They were made from the late 1940's to about 1970.
The coil in the last photo is made in Mexico and has a poor reputation for quality and reliability. In fact only a few Model T parts suppliers still sell them.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

Guys, thanks for the fast response. I guess Ill try to have them rebuilt. The poor old Mexico coil will still have to do duty on the hit and miss engine till it dies ...... And since it is on something that does not really matter, it will still be going strong when Im "dead and gone" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

I have the same set of coils dated 1962. I also found them to be easily rebuildable and they work great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

You've got the right plan for that last coil. I usually tell people to use them for display pieces.

On the later KW coils, some of them were made with flat plates instead of wire for the iron core. I don't like working with those as much as the others. The tar is really sticky and tough to dig out, even after I chill the coils in the freezer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 07:34 am:

You're right about that. I have really enjoyed the new 'flatter' capacitors. LOTS less digging involved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 08:43 am:

Donnie : From a model T man,I have 8 Mexican's here. I am not so happy with them !! But I'll try to help him.
Toon
1969R
1964R
1966R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 08:44 am:

Yes, I'm very thankful to Ron and John for introducing all of us to those. Now that we don't have to remove to wood blocks and move the glass over, there's less risk of damaging the secondaries too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 09:17 am:

Ill be sending mine in to be fixed in a few days. And me joking about the Mexico coil above, will probably prove to be correct. It being used on a hit and miss engine, will make it be like the "Energizer Bunny" it will keep "going, and going, and going" but the second I stick it in a T it will die ... :-) Thanks for the input ...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration