DVD's or book?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: DVD's or book?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brian lawrence on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

Hello,

I'm getting ready to rebuild rear axle again (broken axle) and this time around I'm going to do more research and hopefully do it for the LAST time. Is the MTFCA book on rear end rebuild best or should I buy the three DVD's? Thanks in advance.

Brian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

my books have grease all over them! I can take them to the shop and look at them as I work--my laptop goes black after a while, and I don't like to get grease on it! Just my personal preference. The CD's are great for massive amounts of info to read and maybe print a copy of a page here and there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brian lawrence on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

Yes, I agree with you on that point, plus there are three DVD's? I'm leaning towards the book...Brian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

The book should guide you through the rebuild quite well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

My choice would be the printed copy. For working in the shop you could trim the spine off and slip the pages in those clear plastic 3 ring report covers. Ok now this is a duh, I just thought of it, I think I will do that to my copies. I have used the report covers in the past after printing out pages, didn't even think about cutting the manuals apart. (something about destroying books :-( ) I know guys that punch them for the binders but they still get smudges on 'em.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

Videos are nice for showing the actual work being done, but with a book it's much easier to go directly to the page that applies to what you're doing right now. My only quibble with Glen's book is that it doesn't brag on the Fun Projects pinion bearing. I haven't worked on a lot of rear axles, but I have dealt with the FP bearing and the stock set-up. Any more rear axles I do will get the former.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 07:43 am:

Of course the best solution is to have both, but if I had to choose, I'd go with the book.

One thing about the books and the videos. They are both probably due for a new edition that reflects some of the newer technology out there. Had John come out with his pinion bearing at the time the book was written? I know that coil points are of much better quality nowadays and do not require some of the 'rework' mentioned in the videos. It would be a time consuming and potentially costly venture, so I understand why it has not been done yet, but still, it would be nice.:-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration