Spark Plug GAP and Spark Plug TORQUE

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Spark Plug GAP and Spark Plug TORQUE
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

My 1914 full restoration is coming together nicely..I decided to treat the restored engine to a brand new set of Champion 3X plugs. I gapped them to the .025 noted in the insert. Then it says insert firmly..not too tight, not too loose. Now the car is next to impossible to start. (it was starting on MAG with minimal effort)

So.. is there a better gap? The ones I took out are actually gapped at .035. And is there a recommended torque for the plugs? What happens if they are installed "too tight"?

Thanks guys!
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

.032-.035 No torque, just tight. Put a little oil around the base of the plug after you install, if it bubbles a bit no worry but if you feel inclined to, a little Teflon tape (don't really matter what type, I use white) or aluminum foil wrapped around the threads will cure that. A little Never-seize works too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 10:18 am:

Aren't "3X" Model A plugs ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 10:43 am:

"And is there a recommended torque for the plugs?" NO

As it says "insert firmly..not too tight, not too loose"

"What happens if they are installed "too tight"?"

They'r a real bXXch to get out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

Gary could have had a past flashback when he had his Model A's ....... Champion X Plugs, .025 gap suggested for magneto powered ignition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 04:29 pm:

Recheck the initial setting of your commutator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 05:38 pm:

My Ford service book says 1/32" gap which is just over .031

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 10:51 am:

Gary:

Send me message thru the forum, I'm live in the same county as you & willing to help with what I'm able.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration