Old Photo - Now That's A Log!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Now That's A Log!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

This is why so many TT springs contain broken leaves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

How much downgrade would it take before the brakes would be useless ? Scary !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

Hood sides are gone. Gee, I wonder why it runs warm? Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 11:18 pm:

Great picture!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 05:55 am:

Quite a feat loading it on the trailer :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 06:51 am:

You should see the size of his fireplace!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 07:47 am:

Bud,

I bet he can go down a pretty good hill in LOW without touching the brake. Everyone behind him would be impatient, but oh well....:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison North of Iowa on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 08:13 am:

Kindling!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 08:14 am:

Bud, given that amount of weight behind him, I'd say a 1% grade is all it would take to make the brakes, such as they are, smoke like crazy!! Not even sure the engine could hold it back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 08:35 am:

I have seen some pictures of logging trucks descending some Horrendous downgrades. Logging roads were pretty bad. I imagine the fellows that survived got pretty good at it. Old bus drivers told me that using the brakes was a mistake. Low gears and steering is the key. And TT's ARE low geared. Also, there probably wouldn't have been much traffic behind him.

Great picture

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 10:39 am:

Someone tell me if I'm wrong but thats heavy.
If V=Pi(r2)H, and we assume it is 12ft long by 5ft dia, then
V= 3.14(6.25)12= 235 Cft. And if it is Poplar at 30 lb/cft, 235x30= 7050 lbs.
Thats a pretty good load for modern truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 11:31 am:

Greg,

I agree with your math but the log may be "green" and closer to 38lb's/cubic foot if it is poplar. Even more than you estimate. Incredible load and spot on for tremendous weight. I didn't even think about calculating it like you did.

We don't have poplars around here. Do we?

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 12:59 pm:

I note it has a bumper. So he can use the car in front to slow him on those downgrades?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Carpenter on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

You wouldn't want to run out of petrol going up hill with that thing behind you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

It is hard to tell if the log is a poplar or cottonwood. If cottonwood, it can weigh 58 lb/cf when green. That would be 13,630 lbs for this load.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stanley L Brown Drury, MA on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

I think it looks like herniawood

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

Ya think he was on the way to the toothpick factory?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

Marvin, Funny you should mention the toothpick factory thing about the log. When I saw this photo for the first time this old cartoon from the past came to mind. :-)

http://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1829720-stock-footage-cartoon-of-toothpic k-factory.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

-Hi, Jay-
Isn't that cartoon like what our 'throw-away' world has become? Read articles earlier today that a third of the plastic in our oceans can be attributed to China and Malaysia, and California is watching for the 'cardboard thieves' too...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

Did you notice the "cant hook" laying across the running board and fender. It would be useless on a log that size. Sure would like to know the location of the photo. Sawing something that big is nothing but trouble!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

We had a red oak die in the woods here at home and it was 38 inches across the stump. I had a friend come by with a Husky saw with a 3 foot bar to cut it off from the stump and he made the cut for me to make a log. I think it came up to about 9 feet long before it was not useable for makeing lumber.
It took me over 4 hours to wrestle it 300 feet out of the woods with my kubota tractor. It laid on the skid poles of my dads sawmill for a couple years. We decided it was just to much for us to handle so I loaded it on a trailer and took it to a local man with a band mill. I literally had to use a long pry pole to "help" the tractor lift the log as my dad worked the hydraulics to get the log up high enough to load.
Now looking at this, i bet there was some horses and cables and blocks used to get this loaded. That is HEAVY.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration