TT wheels on T hubs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: TT wheels on T hubs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 09:12 am:

Can this be done? I don't know much about the TT... but Jay posted a pic today... those wheels look a lot "thicker"... can one attach the TT wheel to a regular T hub or are the holes different?
Why you ask?
Looking at seeing if there where better alternatives to drive over soft sand/desert conditions... just got it in my head after reading Light Patrol Cars in WWI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 09:25 am:

In Australia they had 30x5" front wheels as an option for TT trucks in 1926/27.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/318875.html?1351256196

I think you would need custom spokes to make a safe conversion. TT rims can be hard to find and the repros are expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 11:52 am:

My old TT that I no longer have had 6.00x 20 rear wheels. Being hard up for cash I was able to procure a pair of used 8:00x20's, 12 ply tires for free. It took a lot jumping and pounding to get them on but they worked and gave me a little bit higher gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

I suppose you might bore out the TT hub so you could press fit a T hub in and weld together. It would seem to me that using Model T wheels with 21 inch ballon tires would make better sense and be much easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 02:56 pm:

Yeah, since I saw those wide tires on the back I began to wonder why the Light Car Patrols in WWI African desert didn't apply these to the T's that where sent there... From what I am reading you can't take these wider TT wheels and place them on the regular T hubs... correct? (front or rear)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

If you were getting wheels redone anyway and you had clearance at the fenders it should be possible to put TT wheels with T hubs. I think someone has a tow truck they made up with big wheels and tires on all 4.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration