Old Photo - Castlemaine Garage, Ford Dealership

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Castlemaine Garage, Ford Dealership
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 10:06 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 11:27 am:

Interesting that the crated T's were delivered to the dealer by horse and wagon. Not much of the car to the right can be seen, but it looks like a very early car by the seat profile. The dress of the people also look pre teen. I suspected pic likely taken in Australia by the tyre spelling on the building. When the sign on the crate is enlarged, it says "More Fords for Victoria."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 02:57 pm:

There is every chance that the photo was taken in Castlemaine, Victoria , Australia.
Best regards, John Page , Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 03:42 pm:

Ford went there looking for gold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 04:10 pm:

John, I agree, Castlemaine Victoria Australia. Look at the use of "motors" the spelling of "tyres" and "South British Insurance".

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 04:56 am:

This might be the same building. The doorway to the left of the picture is obscured by the hanging sign, but it certainly has an arched top.
Corner Hargraves Street and Lyttleton Street Castlemaine, Victoria, Oz.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 05:21 am:

It seems that Mr Harrison and his business was so well known that newspaper adverts required no address, just a phone number of 41 Castlemaine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 05:33 am:

Caption- "Cars were imported in packing crates and then assembled by dealers. This is a model T Ford in the yard of Harrison 's Garage."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 05:36 am:

This could well be the car after unpacking.
Caption-"A man seated in a Model T Ford car in a suburban street. Castlemaine Victoria"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 05:41 am:

This photo is in the same location as the last. Possibly the same day, but different car.

Caption-"A man in a Model T Ford car. Castlemaine Victoria"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 06:37 am:

Another early picture of Harrison's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

Thanks Bob, it all helps to create the story and establish the history.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rik Van on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

Hmm....eerily similar and in the same city Dane but I count 5 windows on the one side of the ford building and 2 on the other while the white building has 3 and 3, also the mantles above the windows don't appear in the ford bldg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

I've just done a week long traditional signwriting course, so old photos like this have me poring over the detail. Check the Motor Engineers sign with its shadow making it look like the letters are leaning over the street, and the Ford Cars sign is similar. Obviously early with block letters for Ford, not script. I think I'll make copies of both those signs, but smaller scale!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 08:18 pm:

Rik, I have to agree, not the same building- perhaps just the same architect!

I have hunted, via Google Earth, throughout Castlemaine and while there are several building with the angled corner, and some two storeys, I can't find another one like the Ford building.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration