Need help finding info on a VIN

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Need help finding info on a VIN
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vanessa Ehrhardt on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 10:50 am:

Recently my dogs and I were walking in the woods when we came upon an old homestead foundation. Always curious, I dug around in the dirt and began
finding old spark plugs, coils, dishes etc. I pulled on one of the coils which was attached to cloth and out popped a piece of dirt and rust covered metal. I couldn’t tell right away what it was but stuck it in my pocket and dug around a little more. I ended up uncovering what looks like part of a frame from an old car. It was getting dark so I picked up my “treasures” and went home. I washed the piece of metal and to my surprise made out the “Ford” stamped in the metal. Upon further inspection
I found the numbers “201667” stamped into it. I've contacted the Henry Ford Museum and they informed me that all they know is the car was made in 1913 as they had a fire in 1970 that destroyed a lot of records. Is there anyone else out there who may have any info? Thanks so much for your help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 10:53 am:

Can you post a picture of this piece of metal? If it is a serial body tag,I would be interested in buying it from you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vanessa Ehrhardt on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 05:58 pm:

Do you have an email address I could send the photo to? I tried uploading it but kept saying it was unable to load to the site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

photos on this site must be resized to 190 bites of something. just kidding, google picture resize, there are many that are free, only takes a minute.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 01:16 am:

Here is the patent plate tag that Vanessa found:

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 02:15 am:

Looks like a bit of cleaning up and some side lighting should make it readable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 02:53 am:

More than enough for a restoration start!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 05:40 am:

Burial site of a February 1913 Ford car.

That is neat to find one of the very few parts that indicates what the cars was.

Ken in Texas

(Message edited by drkbp on February 20, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 08:04 am:

A 1913? I have seen restoration projects start with less parts. When restoration is finished what colour will you paint the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 11:50 am:

George I hope it's painted dark blue as apparently that's what they were when the left the factory according to "Bruce's big book"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

This has been around for awhile, but it is a 1913 without the dark blue paint.
Photo Source: The Baltimore Sun
That's right, some guys were dawdling around with their metal detectors and found an entire 1913 Ford Model T car that was buried in 1926. Apparently the owner had buried it himself then to preserve for posterity, and then just maybe forgot about it? Seems like a real squirrel/acorn situation.
http://www.govisitcostarica.com/blog/post/most-awesome-treasures-ever-found-with-metal-detector.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vanessa Ehrhardt on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 05:11 pm:

I've contacted the historical society about the homestead and found out that a W.W. Randolph was the owner of this land where I found the tag until 1923. I did some more digging and was able to find some of his descendents who had a photo of the car but none knew where it went. Possibly buried?

I have an email into the city to see if I can do a small dig as it's a public nature park. I went out there with a metal detector this past weekend and it was going crazy around the place I found the tag so perhaps the rest of the car is buried too? If not, I'm still anxious to see what I find.

Just curious, what would something like that be worth? Since Jack Daron was the first to offer, I'd be happy with just giving it to you if you promise it a good home. For the time being I need to hang onto it though until I find out if I'm able to do a dig.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vanessa Ehrhardt on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 05:11 pm:

Thank you Keith for posting the photo :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, February 20, 2015 - 07:20 pm:

Vanessa -- The monetary value of that number plate in that condition would be very little. "Uncle Jack" will give it a good home. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vanessa Ehrhardt on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 10:49 am:

Thanks Mike!

And Jack, if you want it it's yours :-) If you'll email me an address I'll get it shipped to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 23, 2015 - 04:02 pm:

And since condition is extremely important in regards to value, if you do find the rest of the car? It likely would not be worth much. Depending upon the corrosive value of the soil, it could be worth anything from a few dollars as scrap to maybe a thousand dollars (unlikely) as a restorable car. The car pictured above being dug out would be considered restorable, but needing enough labor to clean and repair that the value would likely be only a few hundred dollars.
Vintage is also very important to value. If anyone finds a 1923 instead of a 1913? As rough as the '13 above is? It would not be worth restoring (nice, easy to restore, parts are too easy to come by here). It could be worth about a hundred dollars to be kept as-is only as a curiosity. On the other hand, a car four years earlier than '13? A 1909 T in that condition could be worth thousands. Depending again on actual condition.

Thank you, Vanessa, for sharing your find with us.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration