OT - searching newspapers and journals

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - searching newspapers and journals
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 11:55 am:

Tim W. asked where I find articles on another thread. For anyone interested, there are a few "free" places that I like to look for period news and information.

One of the best I've found is the Library of Congress, "Chronicling America." Another good source is "Google Books" and "Google Newspapers." The newspaper portion of Google isn't as easy to work through as Google books, but still provides good info (when I'm successful getting to it).

The other "key" for me has been, finding the best search criteria. Below are examples I've found of how to, and not to search for information.

If I search "Chronicle" and put in "Ford Model K " and "Model K Ford" in the "with the phrase" box, I get 9 "hits."

However, when I finally figured out how Model K were usually referred to, and put in "Ford six cylinder" and "six cylinder Ford," I get 23 and 37 hits respectively. Then, if I use "Ford six", there are pages of hits (although many are things other than Fords, such as "HartFORD SIX CYLINDER."

Library of Congress link:
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/search/pages/results/?state=&lccn=&dateFilterType=range&date1=1906&date2=1908&language=&ortext=&andtext=&phrasetext=ford+six+&proxtext=&proxdistance=5&rows=20&searchType=advanced

"Ford Model K" - 4 hits:

"Six Cylinder Ford" - 37 hits:

Let us know other resources that you've used......

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 09:09 am:

Thanks Rob! :-)
late catching up on my forum reading!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 09:31 am:

Rob, I use Google quite a bit, both for work and play :-),and - although I claim no extraordinary expertise - I tend at least to be fairly good at it.

"...(although many are things other than Fords, such as 'HartFORD SIX CYLINDER.'" In that case, I might try putting a space before FORD and after the opening quote, e.g. instead of "FORD SIX CYLINDER," try searching on " FORD SIX CYLINDER." That sometimes solves that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 09:32 am:

Rob, thanks! I've always wondered how you find so much stuff. You also must have way more patience and perseverance than I do.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration