Source for new clutch shafts?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Source for new clutch shafts?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

Does anybody know of a source for new clutch shafts? I can find the pedal shafts, but I have a bent clutch shaft and need to replace it. I can put a piece of 5/8 rod across through the rebushed holes in the hogs head, but not the shaft itself.... Holding it up to a straightedge the bend is obvious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

Gary. I don't know if any of the vendors carry them. They didn't when I needed one for a 26-27 hogshead and I am not a machinist, nor have a metal lathe, so I ended up buying a used hoghead with a tight fitting shaft. From what I see, they should be simple to make if you have the machines and skill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

Why not straighten what you have?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

Ted's advise is good. They will straighten very ease as the shaft will bend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

Mike "Bender" sounds like the guy for the job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 11:50 pm:

How would you suggest bending it? I don't have anything to lose giving it a try. I don't have a machine shop but I do have a 20 ton press

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Martin on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 12:04 am:

I just straightened one tonight. Using a straight edge against the shaft, you want to find the point where the ruler rocks the most. This is the "top" of the arch so to speak. Mark the high point with a felt tip marker. Then, support the shaft on either side of the high point, with the high point centered and facing up. Press directly down on the "high point".

Bend a little & check, then apply a little more force until it's straight. It won't take much force or deflection to get it back straight, but it will need to be slightly over-bent each time, as it will spring back...slightly. Try not to bend too much, but if you do, find the new high point and start over.

You can also roll the shaft on a flat surface rather than using a straight edge. Your choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 12:06 am:

Although I didn't remove the shaft to measure the shaft and hogshead, I could tell that my shaft (or hogshead) could only be saved by: 1. making a new shaft, the original was worn (and I had a good 1/16" or more of play in the holes on both sides), or 2. make a new shaft. I could see the wear on the end of each shaft, so there wasn't any using the shaft I had or re-bushing and reaming the hogshead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 12:16 am:

It may be tough pressing on the high side without V-blocks. It will want to roll depending on how bad it's bent and can be dangerous. I've straightened other types of shafts on a flat plate using a brass or copper hammer. Sometimes elevating the ends with a Popsicle stick to get the last few thousandths.

Don't use a steel hammer. A plastic covered dead-blow, brass or copper is best so you don't nick the shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 12:37 am:

Ok, this sounds good. I think I can borrow V Blocks. There is wear on the outside end of the shaft; it's not too bad and I planned on building it up with JB weld, using a straight edge to smooth it, then polishing it off with 320 wet/dry once its set up. I rebushed the hogs head and counter bored the outside ends for lip seals. For the oil leak issue I think the JB weld surface will be fine against the lip seal. I don't have an accurate enough way to drill a new shaft or I would just make a new one.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration