Need help making a rear window moulding

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Need help making a rear window moulding
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leffler on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

My 1923 coupe has suiside doors , making the rear window moulding different . I need help making a rear window moulding for it to hold the rear window in . I can find a moulding for the square windows , but not the oval one. I have been told these are made of wood . Any help would be appreciated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

I steam bent this one using a steam iron and wet oak. I had nothing to go by and know it should be covered with cloth. It is finger jointed at the center of the top. The form was traced from the window opening in the body and trimmed slightly smaller to 26 1/2 x 11 inches. The holes in the form were for C-clamps. Not perfect but fine for this car.

Maybe this will help.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

This is how the glass was held in, the material was like rattan covered in cloth.
+++ jpeg +++ 517716 +++ +++

(Message edited by redmodelt on February 12, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 10:41 pm:

Anyway, the material was covered in the same fabric as the bead around the doors. Send me a PM and I will get a couple of photos to you.
MarkG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 12:49 am:

Why don't you laminate some wood strips then cut it out on a band saw? You might want to make a little oversize in length so you can make it in two pieces and lap joint it. If you have a blade welder then one piece would be the way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 04:48 am:

Ted, I would go one further with the laminating. With a former like the one Richard used, laths of thin timber could be of thin timber/hobby plywood could be bent around the former and laminated until the required thickness was achieved. There would be no join necessary in such a construction. Each laminate layer join can be shifted to anew position as the layers are built up.

I did the tack rails on my 1915 tourer this way.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erick Keenan on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 06:44 am:

I wonder if someone with a CNC milling router could make these?
Or just a good pattern and hand router?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 10:49 am:

P.S. I cut a groove around the outside for the upholstery panels to fit into.

Rich

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration