Ruckstelll for 25 coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ruckstelll for 25 coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

I am in the process of building a Ruckstell for our 25 coupe. I have two other Ruckstells in two other vehicles. The Depot Hack has a standard Ford gear ratio. The 27 Roadster has a 3:1 ratio. Here in KY., due to the hills and such, I know I don't want the 3:1 again. I am leaning toward the standard ratio. However, Chaffin's suggest in their catalog, a slightly lower ratio from standard might work well, possibly better than the standard ratio. Anyone have any thoughts one way or the other, what ratio is best overall? Any input is welcomed. Saturday the gears go in, one way or another.
Also, I have a very good ball bearing set for the Ruckstell. I see no reason why not to use it. Any one have any thoughts regarding the tapered roller bearing for this area.
Thanks
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 11:15 pm:

I'd use the stock ratio, and forget about tapered roller bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

I agree - if it were a sedan the lower ratio may be handy, but a coupe should climb hills fine with the standard ratio & Ruckstell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 01:23 am:

I did a 1925 roadster a few months ago and the owner wanted 3.25:1 As I remember I used a 39 tooth crown wheel and a 12 tooth pinion. It took quite a while to set up but he is very happy....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 06:57 am:

Tom, I have a standard in my fordor and it works fine, a good friend has the 12 tooth in his tudor but with the kids all in it he has issue then, not enough power.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 07:10 am:

Std gear is the way to go. Here in TN a 3-1 gear is fine for solo driving but does not work on tours cause you can't get a running start on hills or run with the pack without bucking. I went from the 3-1 in my 27 cpe back to std and like it much better.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration