1927 Model T Timer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1927 Model T Timer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George schmidt on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 08:00 pm:

I just purchased my first Model T and have a question about the timer. Per the attached photos, it shows dents on the body and one of the studs holding one of the mag its has fallen out. It appears a hole was drilled into the magnite to hold it in ?
Is this normal or is this a defective timer. If so, which brand would be the best replacement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 08:04 pm:

George,

You picture did not come through, but if you are talking about the timer that goes on the front of the engine, those are not magnets inside. They are just contacts. Which is best is a matter of opinion. I have Andersons on both of mine, but I want to try the TW timer next.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

George
We really need to see those photos. The terminology you used is not common parlance to experienced Model T folks and very ambiguous.
Help us get calibrated with photos and then we can offer informed advice.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, February 12, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

George, keep you photos under 194kb to post them here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

Here are George's photos.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

Throw that piece of junk out and get a TW Timer. They are the best. Also, make sure the fan belt is not rubbing on the case as that is what made the scars on the side of the commutator case. I had to put a guide on my '27 to stop that but you situation may just require an adjustment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

Since this is your first T I would suggest you buy another timer that are available from one of the T parts vendors.
While this one could be repaired the new ones are well made and will save you time and trouble.

The worn areas look to be the belt rubbing on the case?? I had a non-metal case (new day) timer that had similar wear marks from a rubbing belt but not sure about a belt doing this to a metal cased timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 03:08 pm:

I hate to say it guys, But come this spring Im going to take my TW timer out and reinstall my old roller timer. Even with the modern seal in place Im still get some seepage of oil causing a misfire. Three times in less than 200 miles I've had to take the timer apart and clean it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

With a 26-27 you can adjust the fan belt two ways. One way will pull the belt closer to the timer and the other will pull the belt away from the timer. Try rotating the offset clockwise as viewed from the back side. that will move the belt away from the timer. If it doesn't fix the rubbing, you might need a shorter belt.

I would agree with the others that a new timer will help very much. I prefer the older New Day with the brown case or the Anderson timer.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

Belt? What belt? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

Excellent point Norman - some folks might not be aware of that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 05:46 pm:

I've had great results with both the Anderson Timer and the new TW one. The older New Day ones work well also. Don't get a New Day with the S on the top of it like the one in Steve's pic. Get one which says "No Oiling" across the bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

Will
Why don't you fix the oil leak instead of leaving folks with the impression the TW timer is your problem?
If the seal is properly installed and the engine front cover is not misaligned it should not be leaking.
The TW timer instructions clearly state "do not oil"
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 06:59 pm:

Ron, I'm not trying to give the TW a bad name, It is a very nice timer. I've tried to stop the leak. Iv use everything from coating the seal with RTV to hard setting glue. I still get some oil past the seal. Just enough to mess up the TW carbon brush timer. If I cant get the oil from seeping past the seal then I need to replace the timer with one that won't be affected by oil, And the roller timer was designed for just this application.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

Will
Have you checked the alignment of the crankcase cover? It requires this tool to be done properly.
There is also the possibility that the front camshaft bearing is worn or the block bore is oversize both causing the end of the cam to wiggle about within the seal.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

Will, is the timing gear nut good? If the shoulder that rides in the seal is worn or pitted the modern seal will leak.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, February 13, 2015 - 09:10 pm:

George, different timers have different advantages and disadvantages. The Anderson timer is tolerant of oil and runs many miles without service, but is intolerant to front cover misalignment (without adjustment). TW timers are more tolerant to misalignment, but less to oil (so I've been told). A third option is the E-timer which is rather tolerant of both oil and misalignment. The E-timer is an electronic rather than mechanical switch, and only operates on direct current (battery e.g.)

disclaimer: I am involved in the manufacture of both the Anderson and E-timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 10:47 am:

A simple timer is best for a simple car. That's what makes a Model T a shade tree mechanic happy.

Just my opinion.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration